cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

News : Ofcom orders legal separation of BT and Openreach.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Source : BBC News. 

Link > Ofcom orders legal separation of BT and Openreach

Excerpt from the link....

"Telecoms regulator Ofcom has ordered BT to legally separate its Openreach division, which runs the UK's broadband infrastructure.

Openreach should become a distinct company within the BT group, the regulator said.
"

My Thoughts. 

If this improves Broadband Services then I'm all for it. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

5 REPLIES 5

jeffkinn

and how do you think that a legal separation will help to improve broadband services? Openreach will continue to be wholly owned by BT.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

My early understanding is that Bt isn't been fair which has prompted the other providers to complain. 

Is this wrong @jeffkinn

Current Phone  >

jeffkinn
No absolutely right. My question is how having Openreach in a separate BT owned company helps with that problem. The unless it is independent I don't see the point

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

"Ofcom said creating a more independent Openreach, which works "in the interest of all providers, not just BT" was vital for improving broadband and telephone services across Britain."

Source : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/29/ofcom-oders-bt-split-openreach-network/

I submit it's going to be interesting when this happens to see if this is achieved. 

Current Phone  >

jeffkinn
That is of course quite correct but this smacks of window dressing to me. Unless there are legal provisions for Openreach to be independent, this will no effect whatsoever. However, it does pave the way for Openreach to be sold of floated on the Stock Exchange in due course.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png