cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

News : Samsung confirms battery faults as cause of Note 7 fires.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Source > BBC News. 

Link > Samsung confirms battery faults as cause of Note 7 fires.

Excerpt from the link.....

"On Monday, Samsung said that neither software nor hardware were at fault, only the batteries.Samsung's probe into its Galaxy Note 7 fiasco has found that the overheating and burning of the phones was caused by faults with their batteries."

"On Monday, Samsung said that neither software nor hardware were at fault, only the batteries."

My Thoughts. 

I think an overview from consumers that it was the battery causing the issue, but its good to hear it wasn't attributed to the software or hardware. 

IMG_0688.JPG

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

4 REPLIES 4

63johnw
I would imagine there will be some extreme testing of the S8 being carried out before release !

BandOfBrothers

@63johnw I'm sure they will. 

This Samsung Link explains in detail what they did to investigate this. 

Link....

We learned from the Galaxy Note7 issues and have made changes as a result. From reassessing every st...

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Nabs

Hmm... that's different to what IInstrumental said and I'd be more tempted to believe their explanation..
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/galaxy-note-7-issues-what-happened

hrym

Turns out you can be too thin!  The trouble with rechargeable batteries is that they can give all of their power very quickly - even back in the days of Ni-Cd's and carrying spares, it was always advised not to put one in the same pocket as your keys.   Inadequate separation of plates was always going to be a hostage to fortune.   As the form factor increases, flexing is more likely, allowing the battery to deform and short-circuit.

It was only ever a (relatively) few Note 7's that actually caught fire, suggesting that an extra factor had to come into play as well as the battery issues themselves.