Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Nokia wants to make phones again.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Nokia wants to make phones again

"Nokia, the former emperor of the mobile phone world, has stated that it wishes re-enter the market.

In an interview with German publication Manager Magazin, CEO Rajeev Suri made the company's intentions clear. "We will look for suitable partners" he said. "Microsoft makes mobile phones. We would simply design them then make the brand name available to license". "Licensing its brand name could be a smart move for Nokia, but it might find the process of wooing manufacturers difficult following its disastrous partnership with Microsoft.

After acquiring Nokia's handset arm, Microsoft found itself responsible for a business that haemorraged money and gained almost no traction with consumers: its share of the mobile market has been reported to be as low as three percent."

"Even if Nokia finds a suitable partner, the company will be forced to play the waiting game. Under the terms of its deal with Microsoft, the company is restricted from using the Nokia brand until Q4 2016."

Source : Stuff.

My Thoughts.

Back in the 90's I was primarily a Nokia phone user and owned many variants from the 6110 etc to N Series with my last two bring the N900 and N8. I then lost confidence in the Brand when Nokia started to cease support for their Operating Systems such as Maemo 5 and MeeGo.

I then moved onto the iPhone.

Not too long ago I reviewed the Nokia Lumia 1020 and bought the Nokia Lumia 520, as I was impressed on the build quality and with Windows OS.

The recent news above certainly excites me and I look forward to what Nokia can bring to the sector again.

image.jpg

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

5 REPLIES 5

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @BandOfBrothers - Interetsing read :).

I too owned a lot of Nokia phones. My favourite being the N95, I loved that phone!

They really were built to last, I think I may still have an old 3210 in my draw somewhere. 

Are you still using the Lumia 520?

I'm eager to see what comes next for Nokia :Smiling:

BandOfBrothers

Hey,

I still own the Nokia Lumia 520 Yes which I purchased after using the Nokia Lumia 1020.

My partner took a shine to the 520 and she's kind of permanently borrowed it ! 😬

I like the Live Tiles amongst other features.

I think the Nokia 6110 I used many moons ago was my favourite. It bounced well and the battery lasted weeks obviously taking into account these didn't do what the average smartphone does.

It had like a chameleon casing which changed hue as it caught the light.

image.jpg

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrothers

I like most people I have a bit of a soft spot for Nokia. I think most people that remember the mobile explosion of the late 1990's early 2000's owned one of their phones at some point.

The first mobile handset I had was a 3310. Most memorable for having Snake built into it. Who'd have thought that game would build into the mobile games industry we now have?

I hope we don't see Nokia completely disappear from the world it'd be a shame if they did. 

hrym

The 6110 was my third phone.   It was the first one that had a decent contacts interface (none of the previous ones had any kind of lookup by name) and the battery life was incredible.

Nokia ruled the mobile roost at that time, but a lot has happened since.   It'll be interesting to see how they fit in to a very different market and whether they can find a niche (and I fear it will be a niche).

Retired-Kay
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Nokia 3330 all the way for me! I'm pretty sure it was the same as a 3310 but it had WAP.

Not that I could afford to use WAP back then :smileytongue: