Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Remain or Leave?

Getafix
16: Advanced member

How will it affect the Mobile Market, especially Roaming?

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Getafix

A very interesting question. 

I'm not sure how it will affect roaming / mobile market 

or indeed looking at the bigger picture how it will affect Britain now it's been voted to leave. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Nabs

The current EU roaming prices are set by EU regulations meaning that when a country leaves these would no longer apply.

In our partiuclar case the leave vote has come out on top so, as far as I understand, it's going to be down to the UK government to decide whether to enshrine the current EU reglations in UK law. If they don't we could theoretically see ourselves heading back to high roaming charges, in reality I suspect very little will change, the market will ensure prices don't become ridiculous.

I don't think it will be too long before 'free' global roaming will become the norm, especially for places where your home network has a presence. 

Getafix

The one that I can see changing is the EU Cap.

Many have usually tend to abuse this and I cannot see UK Networks sticking to this.

Regarding Roaming, it probably will be Market driven and most likely get cheaper over time.

But with Leave decided,  there will lot more problems to worry about then Mobile Roaming.

hrym

Well said, @Getafix!  A lot of stuff is market-driven, though, and although a lot of companies will try to get some price increases through in all sectors, it's unlikely that we'll see Armageddon immediately.   Would we, for instance, want to become the country that fleeces tourists for mobile charges?

jeffkinn

@hrym wrote:

Well said, @Getafix!  A lot of stuff is market-driven, though, and although a lot of companies will try to get some price increases through in all sectors, it's unlikely that we'll see Armageddon immediately.   Would we, for instance, want to become the country that fleeces tourists for mobile charges?

We'll have to do something to counter the dire long term effects on our economy caused by Brexit.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Stevie1
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member
If your worried about data/roaming charges while abroad all you need to do is get a pasg sim card from the country your going to pop this into your phone and you will be able to use there network while on holiday and it works out cheaper. This is what l normally do you can even buy a disposable phone with simcard and saves taking your own phone with you.

:robotmad:

hrym

@Stevie1 wrote:
If your worried about data/roaming charges while abroad all you need to do is get a pasg sim card from the country your going to pop this into your phone and you will be able to use there network while on holiday and it works out cheaper. This is what l normally do you can even buy a disposable phone with simcard and saves taking your own phone with you.

Although, of course, Vodafone now has some roaming-inclusive tarriffs.

Not taking your expensive phone on holiday is an attractive idea, especially if you don't need all the features - though you might want the camera and your music.   A PAYG SIM also protects the integrity of yoru monthly contract.

drey_p

@hyrm - yeah... and I am looking forward to making use of the all inclusive roaming when I am next in Europe.

Combined with WorldTraveller, it is really going to help keep my roaming bills in check!

As a matter of interest, did you know that other providers that offer inclusive roaming do so but only on 3G and not 4G....?

PWIAC

Nabs

@drey_p  did you know a certain number based network has been accused of heavily throttling data abroad, down to the point where they are actually unusable (Google jonathan morris roaming speed) :smileywink: