Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Security

STEVESOLD
4: Newbie

Why is it I can log into my bank account, with information I know, yet when I want to log into my mobile account, I need to get an SMS.

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

This is a layer of security to protect you and your account. Which is a result of the various issues covered in the media. 

To be fair with my hsbc account online I have to enter a memorable word and 3 parts of my security code or use a secure key which is a device that looks like a small calculator that generates a code for me to enter into the page. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I think I need more security on my bank account than my mobile.

As you said there are levels that can be used, but having the sms, EVERYTIME.

I bank with Santander, if I use a different laptop & get an extra level, but its what I set up.

Its all like DPA, they only need to ascertain that you are you & how each company does that is there choice.

BandOfBrothers

Hi

I submit people's conception of Security Levels and what it's added / applied to are different. And that's fine. 

Personally I prefer to have as many layers of protection as possible. This helps to stop unauthorised Account Access and incidents of unauthorised changes to the account / 2nd lines being taken out or products ordered etc. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Nabs

I would personally like to see all sites which require login to implement something similar to Google's 2FA. You have to enter a username and password and then the code that is generated by the Google Authenticator mobile app. You can then tell your browser to save the computer which then allows login without having enter the code each time.

I agree that Vodafone's implementation of requiring an SMS code each and every time is very frustrating and a method could have been built in to allow a similar setup to Google however in the interests of security i'd rather the inconvenience than have my information stolen.

hrym

The theory behind 2FA is "something I know [password] plus something I have [a device to generate or receive a secondary code]"   You might be better off asking your bank whether their security is up to the job.

The Vodafone implementation was a commendably quick response to a fairly widespread outbreak of hacking and a small intrusion on their onw systems.   Yes, it could be improved, but at least it's there.  And it's not as if you need to access your online account all that often - and you can get biilling and usage information from the app, which only requires a PIN.