cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tech News : SIM cards could be dropped next year !

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
This looks interesting.

It something I've noticed our friends across the pond have where the SIM card is inbuilt into the mobile phone.

If they sell a phone like this then I've read the owner and new owner both go to the Network shop to transfer ownership.

And no more Sim Swap Procedures 😎

Maybe this would stop finders or pickpockets of phones inserting their own SIM card.

Another level of security added to phones like other avenues such as Sim Pins / Access Codes and Activation Locks on iPhones.

What do you think ? Pro's & Con's.

This is some info I've seen in The Lowdown.

"SIM cards are an important part of any phone as they let you connect to your network. They’re also a bit of a hassle. If you want to change networks, you have to get a new SIM and make sure your phone can accept it. But for the last few years, the GSMA, the association that represents the world’s mobile networks, has been working to get Electronic SIMs, or e-SIMs, built into devices. These would be programmable, letting you switch networks much more easily. Now the technology looks to be a step closer to a global launch as Apple and Samsung have joined in advanced talks on building it into their smartphones. They’re joining the world’s biggest networks in pushing for e-SIM cards. At the moment, it’s thought that AT&T, Deutsche Telekom, Etisalat, Hutchinson Whampoa, Orange, Telefonica and Vodafone are all welcoming e-SIMs. Deutsche Telekom, Hutchinson Whampoa, Orange, Telefonica and Vodafone own all UK mobile networks. With the world’s top two smartphone makers on board, the GSMA can start working on the technical side of e-SIMs. It’s thought that the plans could be finalised in 2016, with a launch soon after. The GSMA said: “With the majority of operators on board, the plan is to finalise the technical architecture that will be used in the development of an end-to-end remote SIM solution for consumer devices, with delivery anticipated by 2016.”

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

5 REPLIES 5

jeffkinn

I read about this as well and on the whole it must be a good thing (other than for sim card manufacturers). The devil is always in the detail of course and it'll be interesting to see how it develops.

Of course the US has had a simless network for a long time with Verizon and CDMA. The problem there is that GSM is now very much the standard and a CDMA phone can't be used on a GSM network and vice versa. A repetition of that nonsense would need to be guarded against.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

guinea19833
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member
Well sim cards have been getting smaller and smaller over the years, was only a matter of time before they became invisible altogether

Very true - I remember when the SIM card was the size of a Credit Card and now look at the size of them.

One friend got so excited in inserting their Nano Sim Card it slipped from grasp and down into the inner workings of her sofa. Lost forever in time and had to visit a Network Shop to get a replacement.

I did hear that the industry / Networks were moving towards Nano SIM cards only and supplying sim adapters for those that have phones that take larger cards. Some Networks now only send out Nano Sim Cards with adapters in the pack.

I think I'm still in favour of this if it happens even tho I'm sure hiccups will occur and will possibly affect those that decide to sell their phones on etc.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@BandOfBrothers

Sounds interesting!

I guess there would be no need for network unlock codes anymore :).

It’s been almost 25 years since the SIM card helped revolutionise the mobile industry :smileysurprised: - I think I'd miss it :Sad_face:

hrym

As long as it offered a better experience for the user...

The obvious downside is not being able to put your SIM in another device if your phone fails, but that could be dealt with by a simple transfer path, in theory at least. 

Having to go into a shop when transferring devices would be a bit of a pain, I'd have thought.   My original analogue phone (no SIMs then) didn't work first time and I had to go quite a long way to take it back to the shop to be set up again.