Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tech News : SanDisk's 200GB microSD card

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Tech News : SanDisk's 200GB microSD card.

The largest microSD card available was 128GB of unformatted storage, but this latest version adds more than 50% additional capacity.

The 200GB card sells for £210 so it's not a cheap option but for those that like to keep lots of data such as music libraries, photo albums , films and documents this could be invaluable to them. 

Of course one has to be sure whether your Handset will accept a 200GB SD card. I've seen a few recent smartphones saying they only take 128GB cards, but those specs were published before the 200GB card even existed. The LG's G4 and G Flex 2 and the HTC One M9 all say they can handle up to 2TB cards which as of yet do not yet exist.

Being an iPhone user I can but dream of using such an awesome piece of kit. I do so wish  would relax their hold on allowing SD Card features.

What's the largest SD Card you've used ?

Have you ever managed to max one out ?

image.jpg

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

8 REPLIES 8

jeffkinn
Having recently migrated from Android to iOS I can't say that I've missed having an SD card. Of course it does mean buying an iPhone with a lot of memory but the ubiquitous nature of cloud solutions now from iCloud to Google+ and OneDrive coupled with a decent mobile signal most of the time and the ever increasing availability of public wifi means that on board storage isn't the key to success it once was. Also Google officially doesn't support SD cards in the way it once did so the trend is to leave them out of handsets a la the S6. Having said all of that a 200gb card is an amazing achievement and the price will fall dramatically very quickly I would imagine.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

froggerty
16: Advanced member

Why would any device with a micro SD card slot not accept a large capacity card? It's not the device that stores the files, it's the card, when in the device bumph it says that it has a 32Gb capacity, that is the capacity of the internal memory and this can be expanded by means of inserting an SD card, it says nothing as far as I know about what memory capacity card you can use and in your settings you can choose to store files on either device internal memory or on the SD card. It would be interesting to know how high a capacity card anyone has put in their device, phone in particular.

drey_p

@froggerty wrote:

Why would any device with a micro SD card slot not accept a large capacity card? 

Put really simply, it is down to the device not being able to read an SD card beyond a particular size.  So, if for example a device has 32GB internal storage with a memory card slot that is rated for 64GB, if you put a 128GB memory card in it, it will not be read by the device.

PWIAC

BandOfBrothers
I think it's not a case that it won't accept such a capacity of SD Card but that the manufacturers can only test to what is available on the market at any one given time and then add that in their spec sheets.

Current Phone  >

On the devices I've tried it on, none of them will read a card beyond the maxium rated capacity.

PWIAC

BandOfBrothers
When I've tried some android phones in the past when reviewing them I have tried larger capacity SD Cards than noted on manufacturers specs and review specs and they've been fine.

Perhaps those that don't will have some kind of patch in an OS update if viable.

Current Phone  >

As an iPhone user personally I don’t have the ability to try bigger memory cards. 

This is a really interesting thread though and defiantly gives something to think about. :smileyhappy:

jeffkinn
Operating systems are designed to be able to address specific areas of memory. Anything above the maximum address range programmed into Android would be invisible to the operating system. Earlier versions of windows had the same issue with ram and hard disks. As hardware evolves so do operating systems to be able to take advantage of their new facilities.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png