Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tu Go

bilko2
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Is Vodafone going to do anything like O2's Tu Go?

IE being able to make and recieve calls to my vodafone number over WiFi

Bill

66 REPLIES 66

I disagree completely diztig with the "better of the two", having an app ala TuGo is much more than just simply wifi calling, so much better.

For starters you don't need an sepecifc new device, secondly the TuGo app is more about freeing your number, almost the equivalent of putting your phone number "in the cloud" so to speak.

The Tugo app can be installed in any phone, tablet, and even accessed through a website on your laptop, it also includes text messages and voice mail. If your phone dies, gets lost or whatever you can still use it on almost any device without losing anything, from any where in the world, you could even have two lines in your phone even with only 1 sim card, you can move your phone line through all devices regardless of the brand, there's so much more than simply calling through wifi.

With the Wifi calls that Vodafone and EE have, you can make phone calls in the tube, compatible phone only, yey! 

What a wasted opportunity.

Pengy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Thanks for that. Release dates and pieces of string come to mind. But I think that's a good idea- I'll wait a bit and then see what's available.

I have to admit that I'm normally quite lazy when it comes to sorting out a new contract as I'm quite happy with Vodafone. But not this time! I will see what's available as I'm spending increasing amounts of time in places with absolutely no signal but with wifi.

@Pengy: You're not the only one! I think most folks have found themselves just renewing services (utilities/phone/insurance) rather than having the hassle of shopping around, but from first-hand experience, I can say that it certainly pays to do so :Smiling:

It sounds like you'd find the WiFi calling incredibly useful in your situation, and you might want to see my earlier comments on this thread about how favourably it compares to separate apps like O2's TuGo and Three's inTouch. Given the choice, I'd choose WiFi calling every time, even though the latter does mean waiting a few more months for launch.

Oh, and just one more thing... If you happen to be considering an iPhone, the 5S model and above (so the current 6 and 6+) all support WiFi calling, so it's likely any future iPhones will do so too.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion
There are lots of ways of making wifi calls. BT Smart Talk, Skype, Whatsapp etc. It's receiving calls that's more tricky but both whatsapp and Skype do that.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

diztig
8: Helper
@kids - fair point on option 2 for the reasons you and the OP state 🙂

@danoa - WiFi calling and and the SureSignal are both options which allow the phone to just work in its normal way, ie using the phone's normal method of making and receiving calls, sending/receiving texts, and as such they are both far more transparent solutions for the end user - once setup, it 'just works'.

I do agree with your point @danoa about TuGo effectively turns your phone number into a virtual service, accessible from anything that can run the app, and did find it useful myself, but it was at-times 'glitchy', I didn't like that I had to switch between the phone's native and TuGo's diallers/message boxes, and unfortunately, the 'non-technical' older members of my family could never quite get their heads around it.

Having used all three solutions, WiFi calling, for me, is definitely the winner as it can be used on any wifi connection with Internet access, and also seamlessly hands-off the call between the outside 4G network and the Wifi calling (once Vodafone support it as EE currently so), again, adding to the transparent user experience.

We just need the manufacturers to adopt it as a standard feature (they seem to be doing so) and Vodafone to pull their finger out on VoLTE. I suspect in a few years' time, it'll be taken for granted that you can just use your phone in the normal way wherever you have either a 4G or WiFi signal 🙂

diztig
Apologies *danRoa 🙂