Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Turning phone on and off

Lt_Uhura
4: Newbie

OK, I've seen many reports and some people say you don't need to turn off your smartphones at all and others do.  I was just wondering what people here thought, if you have a preference/routine.  I don't power mine off every day, I used to but tend not to now and just do it once in a while.  I have my phone with me all of the time, it's handy to have it close by (I do have a landline at home too but hardly ever use it, in fact I only have it for my Wi-Fi/Internet connection) and the only person who regularly rings me on it is my mum!

10 REPLIES 10

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

I turn my phone off every night unless I am using it as an alarm or am out of the country.

While I am in the UK everyone that matters to me has my landline number so anyone else can call my mobile and leave a message.

Mobiles are very useful but I do not let my life be dicated by them.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

I never ever turn my phone off. If I don't want to be disturbed it's on silent or I'll leave it in another room. But for me it's an essential business tool and work emails can come in at any time of the day or evening 7 days a week.

Also almost no one calls me on my landline but on the mobile. If the house phone rings it'll be for my wife.

I also use it a lot for social interaction via FB, Twitter and this forum of course.

I don't take it upstairs at night but leave it downstairs charging,

So turn it off - unthinkable!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

I turn my iPhone Off at least once a month. 

Imo this gives the phone a 'rest' and soft reset. 

Some prefer to soft reboot if the phone is glitching or lagging to clear out ram. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

I have a desktop computer, Sky Set top box, broadband router and 2 tablets and none of them are ever turned off or seem to need a rest. They might get restarted on occasion of something appears not to be working properly but that's it.

My phone is the same - a hard reset occasionally but it's never turned off. If I need to be doubly sure of no interruptions (in a cinema for instance) I might engage airplane mode.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

I must admit if I have mine on at night I use the "Do not disturb" mode which is great because it will allow calls/messages from people I stipulate and/or alarms.  I have tried leaving it on overnight without and have had interruptions, emails, etc. coming in and much as it's fun to hear the "transporter pad", I don't want to hear it in the middle of the night!

jeffkinn

My email sound is the whoosh of the doors opening and closing from TOS.

Just booked to see ST: Beyond tomorrow night - YES!!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

That's a great sound.  I also have somewhere the "computer noise/background screen sound" and "working" which I alternate on my phone!  I haven't seen Star Trek: Beyond yet, hope you enjoy it.  I am planning to celebrate the 50th anniversay birthday at work (my colleagues don't know it yet! but I know a lot of them will love it), just deciding on how much to do!   

Nabs

Usually my phone only gets switched off if there is a particular issue or a software update forced a restart.

Normally my phone remains powered on all the time in either Airplane Mode or with DND enabled.

hrym

I don't use my mobile every day, so it makes sense to turn it off between uses.  However, if I'm away for more than a day, that counts as one use and it stays on until I get home - it's also my alarm clock.  So, I do both.

Old computer operating systems used to benefit from a periodic reboot (sometimes several times a day), but recent verions are much better behaved and it's no longer necessary.

Interesting question: in terms of energy (and therefore climate) saving, which is better?   To leave the device in sleep mode and using a small amount of electricity or to turn it off and have the reboot possibly shorten its life?   Does the latter process ouweigh the former in energy/CO2 terms?