Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

USB On The Go

JLK
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Need to use USB OTG, and though Smart Prime 6 has it, it is not powering the device - anyone any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JLK  - What happens when you connect it to your phone? Does the phone display anything to indicate that the 2 devices are connected?

If you’re trying to share your phone’s data via USB, check out the Vodafone Smart prime 6 user guide for how to do this.

View solution in original position

15 REPLIES 15

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JLK  - What happens when you connect it to your phone? Does the phone display anything to indicate that the 2 devices are connected?

If you’re trying to share your phone’s data via USB, check out the Vodafone Smart prime 6 user guide for how to do this.

Hi Jenny,

The phone does not indicate that anything is attached. I am not using the usb to share the phones data but to power the thermal camera attached. I am going tinto the shop this afternoon to see if anything can be sorted.

Many thanks for your reply.

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JLK

How did you get on in the store yesterday?

The staff were really helpful, but unable to solve the problem. They said there was nothing held in store or to their knowledge available from Vodafone that would do the job I wanted.

They suggested that I try Maplins ( an electrical store full of geeks - true). They came up with an idea, but didn't sell all the necessary items.

So am still no further forward.

I have an adroid phone with 5.0 software, has USB OTG but not powered and so I cannot use the Seek Thermal Camera I have bought as it is not powered.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JLK - What items did they suggest? I've had a quick search online but can't seem to find a way around this. 

Maybe one of the community members can shed some light on this?

The camera's web site suggested a Y cable and a battery pack. Maplins don't sell the Y cable but do sell the battery pack. I have ordered a cable from Amason and when it arrives, will go back to Maplins as they will let me try a battery pack to see if it will work. If it dosen't, then I might have to return the phone to Vodafone as it does not do what I want or what I was told it would do. Was sold to me as having pwoered USB OTG.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JLK

Thanks for the update.

Keep us posted on your progress. If this is an issue we'll need to feed it back so we can stop other customers encountering the same problem.

Hi, have now received the Y cable and have attached it to the Prime 6 phone and the thermal camera and battery pack and it does not work. Will be contacting Vodafone re either returning the phone or upgrading to one that will work with the camera.

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JLK

Have you tried connecting the USB cable to a laptop to check the connection works?

Please try this and let us know how you get on so we can rule out a fault with the port on the phone.