Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlimited Data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why don't Vodafone offer an unlimited data tariff like 3 do?

How can 3 do this? What keeps people with Vodafone?

29 REPLIES 29

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

For me primarily having good solid signal and data speeds are paramount. 

Its not much use having an all singing and dancing smartphone loaded with juicy tariff allowances if you can't use them.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bandofbrothers

why can't you use the allowance? My mates are watching films without a hitch.

jeffkinn

Mobile data is not designed to be used in an unlimited fashion like that to use for streaming films - there just isn't enough bandwidth avaialble for that. If everyone did it or tried to do it the whole system would very quickly grind to a halt.

As has been said it is a selling tool that not many people actually use. Also 3 themselves have been moving away from unlimited data in certain circumstances. In other countries, the US especially, unlimited plans have been subjected to throttling to make sure people cant use them to excess.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

@rkf wrote:

@BandOfBrothers

why can't you use the allowance? My mates are watching films without a hitch.

I'm referring that a person can't use these allowances if a decent stable signal and good data speeds cannot be attained. 

Thats why for me this is paramount and primarily the first thing to consider when choosing / staying with a Network. 

I prefer to buy my iPhones direct from  and as such are factory unlocked. I then use Payg accounts. I have used / still use all the main U.K Networks and one MVNO. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

I have a 6GB contract with Vodafone. I never get close to using all of it and I'm a heavy user as far as I'm concerned - emails all day every day of the week. Quite a a lot of browsing and Facebook and Twitter.

But at home and in the various offices I go to there is usually Wi Fi so my mobile data usage is always well within my allowance. So why would I go to an unlimited network when I have no use for it. Also I am able to get the 20% employee advantage discount on 4 lines through my daughter's employer and I own all of my phones and I think their sim free prices are very competitive.

Add to that the fact that I have been a Vodafone customer for 20 years virtually trouble fee.

What incentive is there to go to a different network? nd that's how most people feel I believe. The churn between networks is actually quite small as most people stay where they are. 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I stick with Vodafone because I am happy with the service I receive. I have not really had any need to call them or any major issues.

The signal is good at home and work and also the places I go to regularly. 

They have good roaming agreements in the places I travel to and their roaming charges are some of the cheapest around.

I have, in the last week, looked at all networks to see who was offering what and basically Vodafone are competitive with their prices and tariffs. 

Unlimited data on a mobile is a selling tool and in reality most people don't go over their data allowance. Unlimited data or even very high amounts of data are only needed by a very small amount of the user base.

PWIAC

Orion88
1: Seeker

Hi,

I'd like to contribute to the disccussion as a non Vodafone customer.

I wanted to be a customer, but the absence of an unlimited plan stops me.

I'm retired and able to spend time away from home in the UK. So I like to be able to watch films and tv shows by my usual means.

This means using my phone as a WiFi hotspot.

With any sort of limit I would be scared of doing so, I don't want to be scared about anything thanks.

Its not a frequent thing so I'm not a massive user. I realise that Three don't really want us to do this, but it IS the way the world is moving.

They win most months, I don't use my call allowance or texts. But sometimes I will use a lot of data.

jeffkinn

It isn't the way the world is moving. Mobile data is not fixed line broadband. No networks offer unlimited data and a lot in other countries throttle data speeds when users go over certain limits.

Also you are expecting networks to give away their most valuable product that they've invested billions of pounds in putting into place. You should expect to have to pay for data as you use it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Im sure that i read some form of information on the internet regarding companys offering unlimited data that it was all down to a fair usage policy and will never be truly unlimited.

Or i could i be wrong.

Hi Jeff, thanks for your reply.

My comment about 'the way the world is moving' was about technology.

Historically several networks offered unlimited data.. it seems to have been dropped quite recently by some providers.

I don't expect anyone to 'give' anything away, but the providers are trying to move the playing field in their favour. I understand their point of view, but as an end user don't agree. 

When I first used the internet we were charged per hour for dial up. Slowly this has evolved to the unlimited 'always on' connections we have now.

Why? because their first business model was failing.

They have to stop being greedy for easy profit and underrstand it has to be worked for.