Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Don't Use Emails!

Chris_Sav
4: Newbie

Been a PAYG customer for several years.

I cannot get decent fixed line broadband where I am (CT14 0LB) and have been using WIMAX radio broadband, Unfortunately that company can no longer supply me in the very near future.

Decided to try a data only sim and bought a cellular (LTE or USB) router, as I can see the Vodafone mast two miles away North of me at Circular Road Betteshanger  from my study window, a big Vodafone data only sim was  the obvious choice.

Then the trouble started, the signal was very poor and operated at 4k (not 4 meg or even 400k!!) even with an external aerial.

Tried to get technical help and the agent decided to send me a sure signal, upon investigation I found this would be a chocolate teapot as it needs a fixed line to operate! Chicken and egg! Another portion of my life disappeared 'chatting' on-line with four consecutive operatives. I tried to get an email address for technical support so that I can put in full detail and get a considered reply, that was steadfastly refused and told to phone in. This I did and found I could hardly understand some of the people I talked to.

At the end of the day I have made the startling discovery that no-one in Vodafone Technical Support uses emails!! Of course Vodafone would not lie to me so I wonder why such technical dinosaurs would be employed in the first place!

So at the end of the day I sit here looking out of the window at the Vodafone mast two miles away absolutely frustrated by my experience. 

BTW Bought an O2 PAYG Sim in case of emergency if present coverage ends sooner than expected and that works fine in the router.

8 REPLIES 8

PedroC1999
16: Advanced member

You should be able to get a good 4G signal there, especially with an external aerial. Which aerial and router do you have?

I will evaluate the mast layout in that area later, so as to find which sites around you carry what. 

Thanks, any help appreciated, would even donate a nice unopened sure signal!

Bought a DrayTek 2860LN quad WAN port to cover any connection or load balanced combination thereof. Tried it with onboard aerials on window sill facing the Vadafone mast. Short remotes in same postion and stuck a Poynting XPOL1 aerial to the outside of the upstairs window where the study is.

Looking at the mast through a telescope it may be that my line of sight is exactly half way between the two Aerials facing South Eastish and South Westish. I don't know how much signal overlap there is.

Router signal is fine with O2 sim either in USB dongle (WAN4) or LTE (WAN3) connection. Not much to set up with a sim (internet/web/web/PAP or CHAP).

PedroC1999

The masts around you have mostly been beacon'd so the 4G signal should be pretty similar between Vodafone and O2.

4G mast wise: Grange Farms at CT14 0HB looks to be

Eastry Bypass, Cater road roundabout also. 51.234443, 1.307939

The mast you have photographed is a 2G only one which explains the speeds you got on Vodafone in that position; 2G is about 150kbps absolute maximum, with real world usually being less, especially on 2G only masts

If possible, set your router or dongle to 3G/4G only

Explains excatly why my old PAYG Vodafone works but not my 4g datasim. Thanks for the concise explanation. I don't suppose any upgrades are planned there as it's a very prominent site as you can see.

Will look at line of sight to Eastry, Grange Farms is only half a mile away but much lower compared with me and far side of house so aerial positioning would be a problem even if I do have line of sight which I doubt.

Guess my best bet is to get the cheapest Vodafone dongle going and plug it into my laptop and have a walk around.

Thanks once again,

Chris

PedroC1999

If you have an android device that's unlocked, use cellmapper app and travel around. Make sure you use the upload function in the app to upload the data and then a plot will appear on the cellmapper website and it will plot the locations of masts and where they serve.

Hi,

Eight months have passed and I note that a planning application has been passed to erect a new 15m monopole 74186 close to the exixting mast 11682 (2G only) at Betteshanger.

Will the new mast support 4G please? hopefully I will have line of sight to this one as I have to the old one and when will it come on stream please?

Thx. Chris

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Chris_Sav – We don’t currently have exact details on the site, but you can check for planned changes in your area on our UK coverage checker. :Smiling:

Thanks,

I have not found anything that tells me about the upgrade at betteshanger and the coverage checker itself has always told me incorrectly that I can get a good 4G signal when I cannot.