Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Windows 10 - New OS.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Windows 10 - New OS.

"Microsoft's new Windows 10 operating system for smartphones, tablets and PCs isn't far from being launched. Everything’s designed work seamlessly across all your devices, which is handy as Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to phones already running Windows Phone 8.1 and tablets and PCs running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

So with Windows 10 ready to work its way into all your gadgets, let’s take a look at what you’ll get. Microsoft is saying goodbye to Internet Explorer and hello to Project Spartan. The new web browser will be standard on Windows 10 and brings three key new features. First, you’ll be able to draw on and annotate web pages and save those notes to OneDrive, where you can share them with others.

Then there’s the new reading mode, which strips out all the clutter to make reading websites more like reading a book.

Finally, Project Spartan will have Cortana built in. She’ll pop up on pages where she’s useful – she might give you directions to a restaurant when you’re on its page, for example – and pull useful information from your emails when you’re searching the web.

Windows 10 brings a new action centre to your PC, similar to the one that you get on Windows Phone 8.1. It’ll show new notifications and give you quick settings controls.

But the icing on the cake is that it’ll sync across your devices. So if you get a text message, it’ll pop up on your PC or tablet. And when you dismiss it on one device, it’ll go from them all.

The settings menu in Windows Phone devices is a dangerous place. You can get lost for hours looking for what you want as nothing’s in any particular order and the list seems to go on forever. But the Windows 10 settings menu is simple, clear and short. It’s the same story on PC and tablet, where the simplicity is the name of the game. Universal apps Microsoft’s on a mission to give us all a consistent experience across everything that runs Windows 10, which is why it wants all Windows apps to be the same on all devices. Microsoft Office, complete with Word, Excel and PowerPoint, looks much more complete on phones now, the apps even have the full editing ribbon so you get all the controls you’d expect on a PC. Outlook’s been made universal too with a much better interface for touchscreens.

A new gallery The Photos app look pretty much the same on mobiles, but Microsoft has carried that design over to Windows 10 for PC to give a consistent experience. The app will also now remove duplicate images, auto-enhance them and organise them better so you can find them more easily. A new music app

There’s a new Music app for Windows 10 that lets you put your entire music collection on OneDrive. That means you’ll be able to access your tunes on any device from anywhere, you won’t have to plug in your phone to load new music onto it.."

Source : The Lowdown.

Windows 10 has been set for 29 July 2015

My Thoughts.

I'm sure this will be an interesting release for owners that have eligible devices. As I have the Nokia Lumia 520 un branded I'll be watching for initial reports on this to see if any bugs exist and how it performs on various devices.

Lots of new useful exciting features.image.jpg

For those with Network Branded phones I hope it's not a long process for the Network to look over the new OS to ensure nothing conflicts with their Services for them to release it to their devices

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

19 REPLIES 19

63johnw

Hi, from what I have been reading it could be a little while before the phone version comes out though?

BandOfBrothers
Really. That wouldn't be cool.

As iOS 9 is released in September 15 I would have thought they'd want to pip  to the post.

A little more info on Windows 10

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/windows/windows-10-release-date-price-features-uk-upgrades-34...

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Nabs

I tried the Win10 desktop preview for a while and it is a big improvement over Win 8.1. Evrything felt that little bit more responsive and small details like bringing back the start mena make a big difference to the overall experience.

I've already reserved my free upgrade copy for when it comes out next month.

I think Windows Mobile was supposed to be released toward the end of the year.

I know @thesoupdragon has been running the preview on his Lumia though, not sure if he know anything more?

63johnw
I updated my notebook running windows 7 to all the latest updates expecting to get the offer of reserving windows 10 but it didn't appear, will have another look this week.

Nabs

@63johnw wrote:
I updated my notebook running windows 7 to all the latest updates expecting to get the offer of reserving windows 10 but it didn't appear, will have another look this week.

Which version of Win 7 is it running? I think Enterprise is excluded, as is Win 8 RT

63johnw
Not sure@Nabs but that could be it.

Nabs

@63johnw

Run the winver  command on the machine it should tell you from there which version it is

winver.PNG

winversss.PNG

thesoupdragon

Hi All

As @Nabs mentioned I've been running Win 10 preview on the Vodafone Branded Lumia 930.

The OS is Silky smooth and very snappy; But tbh I've always found Windows Mobile that way in all it's versions.

The Settings Menu is much improved devided into 9 sections covering all the OS and personalisation tweaks.

The App Menu is the same A-Z layout. I'm ot a fan of the infinite scrolling, however it is incredibly smooth and quick, so it's not a huge issue.

The Start screen gives you two choices of Large tiles or Small tiles.

The addition of Folders to the start screen is much improved and expands as required.

Some of the apps fail to open properly from tiles but I am running the "Bleeding Edge" version so I expect some things to be broken.

I am going to be writing a full overvue soon with pictures etc... So I'll add more detailed stuff to that.

I am very impressed by Microsoft's desire to learn as much as possible from real users. They want feedback for every tiny aspect of your experience, nothing is too small..!

TSD

63johnw
@Nabs I am running windows 7 home premium with SP1. So that seems to be ok.

I have an Acer Aspire 1 with 1.6 Ghz processor 1G ram and plenty of memory. That all seems ok (just!) so I can only think I am missing something in the background spec for the notebook.

I am not getting the windows logo in the right hand side of the task bar to reserve my copy, so doesn't look like I can do it at the minute.