Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

online chat wanted my sort code?

jv922
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi everyone

I used the online chat today as I had been on hold for ages.

The advisor wanted me to confirm my name, date of birth, address which I did and then he asked for my old address.

He then wanted me to confirm my sort code? Is this right? Seems like a lot of personal data to be sharing over the internet!!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@jv922

You never give anyone your bank account details.

All the advisor would have needed to confirm your ID and for you to pass data protection, would be your full name, date of birth and Vodafone account information.  If you have set up a PIN to confirm your identity when calling, only 2 number are asked.

The advisor should not even ask your address or definitely not your old address.

As you mentioned, too much personal information was being asked and you were right to be concerned.

If you have a copy of the chat, it may be worth sending this recorded delivery to Customer Relations at the address on the bottom of the page.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

Live Chat will want to 100% clarify they are talking to the true Account Holder which is why they ask for different security answers. 

If you are concerned at any point then you could talk to customer service on 191 instead or look to your myvodafone if that way can supply answers. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

The last time I used online chat, they actually gave me my phone number, my address and my date of birth, asking each time, was this correct. As a customer services rep myself, I'm just glad I WAS the customer involved ..... never heard of the DPA Vodafone???

AnnS

@jv922

You never give anyone your bank account details.

All the advisor would have needed to confirm your ID and for you to pass data protection, would be your full name, date of birth and Vodafone account information.  If you have set up a PIN to confirm your identity when calling, only 2 number are asked.

The advisor should not even ask your address or definitely not your old address.

As you mentioned, too much personal information was being asked and you were right to be concerned.

If you have a copy of the chat, it may be worth sending this recorded delivery to Customer Relations at the address on the bottom of the page.

Hi 

This is what I thought, especially when regarding bank details.

When I phone up they never require this much information so seems strange online.

I do have a copy of the chat and will take your advice.

Thanks.

Hi,

This is one of the questions they can ask during their data protection check. They can ask sort code however would never ask for an account number or any other bank information.

They can also ask things like monthly taffif and how much your last bill was etc.

I used to work in O2 and after speaking on the phone to Vodafone, they seem to follow the same DPA process as we did. No one can do anything with your sort code as every single person who banks at the same holding branch all has the same sort code so its nothing to worry about.