Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Installing facebook on a Smart Ultra 6

jefmcg
4: Newbie

I have recently tried to install Facebook for the first time  on my Smart Ultra 6, but every time I try, I get a -505, which professor internet tells me usually due to

• It is mostly seen when you try to install an outdated version of the app.
  • Error 505 can be caused due to the incompatibility of the app with your Android OS version.
  • It can also arise due to cache conflict or data crash of the app.
  • Error 505 may also arise due to Google Account Sync Problem.

I've tried removing accounts, clearing various caches, data and accounts as advised, rebooting.  Everything short of factory reset - which FB isn't worth the bother for me (and I am suspicious that won't fix it).  I'm running 5.1.1 and nothing else has ever given me trouble...

Do other people have FB app running ok on their SU6?

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

I'm Not using that phone but am using a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge which runs on android Marshmallow with no issues. 

I personally prefer to access Facebook via the URL page or link saved to my home screen as the app for me is a memory and battery hog. 

I believe you can contact the developer to pass on your current issues. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Well, I know all that, of course.  But thanks.

Anyone using it or experiencing the same problems on this model?

I did eventually email a bug report to facebook.  Unsurprisingly they never responded.

And just for the record, you can't do facebook live through the browser.

Will
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jefmcg

I'd advise waiting for Facebook to update their .apk in the Google Play store and attempt downloading the latest version when it comes out.

Another option would be to download an older version of the .apk and trying that. It should update in the Google Play store once it's downloaded as it would be recognised as an older version that needs updating to the latest version.

Just as a warning, there is a chance that downloading an .apk could cause your phone to brick and stop working. If you attempt this, you'll be taking this chance at your own risk.

Let us know how you get on.

Stupid forums deleted my messasge.

I've tried three different APKs; the one that was out in November, the December version I tried on the weekend and yesterday the beta version.  All three give the same error after attempting to insstall.

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jefmcg Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. 

I've tested the Facebook app on a Smart Ultra 6 and it appears to be working. 

Please let us know the error message that you're getting. 

Thanks.  So it looks like it's just my phone then.  :Sad_face:

It downloads and then spends several seconds installing, and finally this message shows up in notifications

(I've had the same with https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro which I found interesting as the free version of the same software works fine on my phone)

ChazzD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jefmcg

I've searched for information on error code 505 and it's come back as a Google Play Store error.

There are a couple of different methods I've found which should hopefully resolve this:

Method 1: Clear Cache and Data of Google Play Store:

• Go to Settings.
  • Click on Apps or Application Manager option.
  • Swipe right further to open All tab.
  • Scroll down and look for Google Play Store app. Click on it.
  • Here, you'll see two buttons – 1. Clear Cache and 2. Clear Data. Click on them.

Method 2: Reconfigure your Google Account:

• Go to Settings.
  • Click on Google option under Accounts Section.
  • Click on your Google account and select Remove Account option.
  • Restart your android phone and reconfigure your Google Account.

Method 3: Factory Reset your Android Phone

Let us know how you get on. 

I did most of  that back in November (I have google, so worked that out before I first posted here), and as I said in my first post, I am not doing a factory reset.  Too much palaver for software I will not keep on my phone permanently.

No facebook for me I guess.

sigh