Samsung Gear s2 Classic - My Review.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Samsung Gear s2 Classic. 

My Review.

85340D0D-53B7-4990-8AB0-CE7A653BCE13-7701-000005A149D4D489.jpeg

A bit of background -

I decided to look into Smartwatches as far back as the release of the Apple Watch when I used an iPhone,  but with one thing or another never got round to actually purchasing one.
Well all that's now changed. :Smiling:

After moving from using an iPhone to Samsung Galaxy s7 edge and now Samsung Galaxy s8 I then decided to recommence my interest in a smart watch.

After looking at Android Wear and Tizen Os I opted for the Samsung Gear s2 Classic.

The other variant S2 which is more of a futuristic look didn't appeal and the newer s3 frontier and classic models were a little too big for my personal tastes and as importantly my wrist.

The Bluetooth connection between phone and smartwatch is strong and very stable with very little battery drain from the connection. I'm actually using less battery on my phone because I'm now able to receive text messages and emails on the watch and reply if needed.

The watch has scores of features and the usual array of good apps and dross in its App Store.

Quite a lot is controlled via the Gear App on the phone. Such as changing watch faces ,uninstalling or downloading apps and general optimisation.

It has 4gb of internal storage and 512mb of Ram which is plenty to make it fluid with no lag. 

The Super AMOLED capacitive display is made of Corning Gorilla Glass 3 and responds very well to touch. 

The watch is IP68 certified - dust/water proof over 1.5 meter and 30 minutes.

The back and home buttons on the watch are very tactile and the rotating bezel needs to be seen and used to appreciate how this is an amazing useful feature. It gives good satisfying clicks when turning it and although the screen is also capacitive controlled like a phone screen is I'm not really needing to touch it much because the bezel controls most of the control. 

I receive quite a few emails and texts throughout the day and typically get approximately 2-3 days between charge. 

When reading and replying to texts and emails this also clears them off the phone which is useful as your not having to delete the emails you've already read on the watch. 

The leather 20mm watch straps are fine once they've been broken in after a couple of days. There are lots of alternative watch straps available as it accepts standard 20mm Watch Straps. 

In the box a small 20mm watch strap is also supplied along with the wireless charger stand which grabs the watch via a magnet. Once mounted it ain't going to fall off.

It takes approximately a couple of hours to fully charge.

There is an amount of pre installed watch faces with some you can stylise i.e. Change the dial, hands and add different detail such as date, day, steps taken,battery meter and stopwatch etc.

In the Gear App there's a vast amount of free or paid for watch faces you can download. With some 3rd party apps such as Mr.Timemaker there are templates to make your own watch face from scratch.

Features such as widgets make the watch a breeze to use.

The feature of turning your wrist to look at the time turns the watch face on with very few fails.

In conclusion I'm very happy with my purchase.  :Smiling:

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

4 REPLIES 4

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

It looks and sounds like a great piece of tech @BandOfBrothers :smileyhappy:

BandOfBrothers

Update. 

Recent accessory purchased from Amazon. 

Greatfine Black Silicone Watch Strap. 

This strap is very comfy to wear and allows my wrist to breathe through the holes in the strap. 71XAZVr8plL._SY355_.jpg

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Looks good @BandOfBrothers!

I’m guessing this will be far comfier during more physical activities.

It’s great that you can change the straps depending on what you’re doing – you may want something smart for work or evenings out vs something more practical for gym sessions etc. :Smiling:

I agree with the greatfine strap I got one a while back for my gear fit 2 and has raised edges to protect the super brilliant screen 

I'll post a shot below as I don't know how you put them on here

But I would prefer one of the smart watches in the style of yours they are starting to come down in price in well known pawn shops

But the gear fit 2 is still great for music and answering rejecting calls albeit no were near the scale of your but this is a fitness watch