Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sim Card Registration Failed

stepher
Not applicable
Hi

I bought a nokia N97 Mini on contract today from one of your stores. I keep getting the Sim card registration failed message and was wondering is this due to me transfering my number from t mobile or a fault with my new sim? please help
20 REPLIES 20

hrym
17: Community Champion

That could be a faulty SIM.  Your best bet would be to drop into a Vodafone shop and get a replacement.

OrlaDeane
2: Seeker

I have a Nokia 100 that I use as my English phone as I'm an Irish student studying in Wales, the phone was fine but now it's saying Sim Card Registration Failed, I use this phone to receive calls about job offers and am extremely worried that I'm missing something. Anyway you can fix this?

hrym

Your best bet is probably to drop into a Vodafone shop and see if they can help.   They don't offer a repair servcie as such, but they'd be able to try a new SIM for you and see if that helps (ask them to activate it as well).

Failing that, Carphone Warehouse have a Geek Squad (not sure if it's is all their shops) who may also be prepreed to have a look for you.

AnnS

Hello OrlaDeane

Presumable this is a PAYG SIM.

You may have used the phone to receive calls about job offers, but have you made a chargeable activity during the last 270 days?  It is an Ofcom ruling that all PAYG SIMs have to be in use and this means outgoing.

Please see the thread below.

PAYG Disconnection Times

Try an alternative SIM in the phone and see if it makes a difference.  You could also try topping up a small amount and making a chargeable call.  

My phone now tells me my sim is not registered, I'm expecting a call about a job within the next few days and this is just highly inconvenient. Anything that can be done?

hrym

AnnS asked a very cogent question.  If you're in that situation, that could well be the explanation.   I've had that happen myself and it was possible to get the number re-activated by calling 191.  I lost the credit that was one the account, though and had to top up again.

"It is an Ofcom ruling that all PAYG SIMs have to be in use and this means outgoing" That's an interesting statement, presumably it doesn't apply to Tesco then! Theirs PAYG sims don't expire even with no out going calls.

AnnS

@sparky17 wrote:
"It is an Ofcom ruling that all PAYG SIMs have to be in use and this means outgoing" That's an interesting statement, presumably it doesn't apply to Tesco then! Theirs PAYG sims don't expire even with no out going calls.

Really.  You think that you are correct?  As I said it is an Ofcom ruling that all PAYG numbers have to be in use.

Ofcom - Pay as you go mobile - use it or lose it

The following is taken from the Tesco Mobile PAYG Terms and Conditions

5.4 If you do not use your Mobile Phone for six months we will disconnect you and you will lose your Credits and Mobile Phone number. If your Mobile Phone is disconnected and you would like to reconnect it, you must call Customer Care. If we agree to reconnect you, you must pay a reconnection fee. Details of the current reconnection fee are available by calling Customer Care.

If you check the other providers PAYG Terms and Conditions, you will find the same clause.

Hi OrlaDeane,

Are you still having this issue?

If so, have you tried another SIM in the phone? Have you also made a chargeable call/activity recently?

If you’d like us to still look in to this for you, please contact us here and we’ll be in touch.

Thanks

Michelle

nikkig23
I have upgraded to s6 I have visited my local store as I have had so many issues in trying to upgrade. I ended up upgrading via telephone. I have the s6 traded in my old phone and the sim has failed to register. I have switched phone on and off taken the sim out put back in and no joy. I cannot activate online as I no longer have my old sim. It has been a nightmare especially as I need my phone for work and I am a carer to.

Please help.