cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to use MMS from Android Jelly Bean 4.2.1 (Cubot One)

KoolFork
3: Seeker

Hi,

I have a CUBOT ONE dual SIM smartphone running Android Jelly Bean 4.2.1. It is a Chinese phone.

I can access the internet (up to H+) on my Vodafone SIM, but I cannot use MMS. I have checked the SIM in another phone and MMS was fine.

Note that I can access the internet and use MMS on the second SIM. I have also tried another SIM in the primary slot which worked OK.

I have a pay monthly contract and the APN settings for internet/MMS have been entered correctly.

When I try to use MMS, the word "Sending" appears, followed by "Transmission Failure" and then "Will try later"

The message size (it was a photo) did not exceed the size limit. I have also tried sending a voice recording with the same result.

I would appreciate some help.

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Many thanks GojuSuzi.

My 4th and final attempt worked using the Contract 2 settings and the APN Type as default, supl, mms.

None of the other comninations worked - although all were fine for H+ internet.

Why don't Vodafone suggest using the Contract 2 settings? Do you know if there is any difference between the two?

Again, many thanks for your help.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

KoolFork

I also cannot download received media messages.

A box appears stating, " Download of message .... was unsuccessful"

Vodafone promote this Forum. Do they actually do anything to support it?

All I've had so far is two irritating replies telling me my Forum status.

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
They do, but the tech team respond to posts in date order, so you're in a queue. Aside from which, if yours is an unsupported model, and the defaults don't work, you're at the mercy of hoping someone els e with that model knows a trick.

Thanks for that.

Is that really true about unsupported models? Surely the basic Android phone is the same whatever the model? I appreciate that some manufacturers will have software extras and that camera and siund hardware may vary.

Moreover MMS works on SIM2 (giffgaff/O2), so it looks like a Vodafone problem to me.

I shall hunker down and wait.

The Cubot's good value in my opinion. Around £130 for an unlatched Dual SIM phone. Not the fastest or biggest in terms of storage, but more than enough for me.

GojuSuzi
Yeah, most 'unsupported' phones work with the default settings - I have a nexus 4, also unsupported, and it works fine - but if not then it means it needs specific details that the manufacturer won't have provided, meaning it's kinda stuck.

You say you've got the correct settings, but there's a few options with the default. Are you on PAYG or contract?

All need:
MMSC=http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy=212.183.137.12
MMS Port=8799
MCC=234
MNC=15
Authentication Type=not set
Bearer=unspecified
APN Type=default OR default,supl,mms

PAYG:
APN=pp.vodafone.co.uk
Username=wap
Password=wap

Contract1:
APN=wap.vodafone.co.uk
Username=wap
Password=wap

Contract2:
APN=internet
Username=web
Password=web

Make sure the first lot are correct, and for the latter, if on contract, try whichever one you don't have.

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

The other thing you need to do it make sure that the correct APNs are set as defaults.

Many thanks GojuSuzi.

My 4th and final attempt worked using the Contract 2 settings and the APN Type as default, supl, mms.

None of the other comninations worked - although all were fine for H+ internet.

Why don't Vodafone suggest using the Contract 2 settings? Do you know if there is any difference between the two?

Again, many thanks for your help.

GojuSuzi
Huzzah! They do recommend it, kinda.

If you mooch through the Device lists on the Support section of the site, they each have different combinations of the listed options, all depending on what the individual phone needs. It's easier to do it that way, since they can work with the manufacturers to ascertain what their product needs and promote the one option that'll work. For the unsupported model, they tend to default to Contract1 or PAYG depending on the customer's status, and the "default" APN Type since most phones seem to like that combo best, and a fair amount of the ones that need some more specific combo seem to find it automatically as soon as you put the SIM in (my Nexus4 actually uses the combo you're now using, but it set it all up itself).

And they don't need to promote it more because there's so many busybodies like me who'll make those suggestions here if all the automatic and most-likely-to-work options fail. :Winking_smiley:

Keep up the good work. I've edited the title to include my phone name. Someome else may benefit too.