Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Broadband Router (Connect Router) - Technical Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I've just purchased Vodafone Broadband for my home in a store and was given one of the new black routers (Huawei HHG2500) to takeaway.

My go live date is a while off yet but I get excited over new things so of course plugged it in just to have a go. 

So when the router is fully booted up and thw wifi is on, it makes a rather quiet yet still fully audible buzzing noise. It's so strange, the only way I can describe it is like a buzzing or the sound of a really old hard drive when it's accessing data (there's no hard drive or any moving parts inside) when WiFi is being used. What's even more strange, is that when you load a page or do something over the wifi connection, it's like you can literally hear the router working. As soon as you press enter on a search for example, the crackle will be louder whilst it's transferring data and then settle back down to a quieter level once it's done. 

I'm not really sure what to make of it - a quick search on Google found a few other routers doing it, half said it was bad capacitors and half said it was fine. I'm not particularly happy about my router making audible clicking noises even when not in use though it's annoying. I'm not right on top of my router I'm sat a reasonable distance away and I can hear it clicking and buzzing away. Just to add - the router does seem to work relatively fine though.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

You're welcome. 

As you did this in a store they should just swap it out for you on the store you visited.

There should be no "sending away". 

I respect what they've said and it sounds right to wait for the activation date, but if this was me I'd be inclined to pop back into the shop if local and convenient to ask. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers

Hi

I do not have a Vodafone router but use the Bt HH 5 and no sound comes from it. Mine is sat on a shelf on my hallway on rubber studs. I appreciate they are different units but none of my routers have had the sounds your experiencing. 

My advice would be to ring them if your concerned and if necessary have it swapped out. 

Current Phone  >

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I did contact Vodafone and they've said I need to wait until the broadband service goes live before they'll do anything.

It does seem quite annoying because I imagine once my service goes live, they'll ask me to send the router away or whatever and I'll be without service for a while. 

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

As you did this in a store they should just swap it out for you on the store you visited.

There should be no "sending away". 

I respect what they've said and it sounds right to wait for the activation date, but if this was me I'd be inclined to pop back into the shop if local and convenient to ask. 

Current Phone  >

Hello tomjames17 

This does sound very odd! 

I would follow BandOfBrothers advice and pop into your local store with the device and our in-store team will look into this.

Louise