Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WE WANT MARSHMALLOW FOR SMART ULTRA 6!

Frug000
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

With Smart Prime 7 on the horizon (and soon possibly Ultra 7), I am still hoping that Smart Ultra 6's will receive Marshmallow update. The phone is DEFNITELY capable of running that software and if it won't get it I will assume that the only reason for that is that people at Vodafone wants us to buy a new one every year in order to get a new software (thinking that becuase it's already so cheap people will do so).

Well guys if so, shame on you.

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Frug000

I can well empathise with you over wanting the latest firmware updates. 

Vodafone typically hold back updates for their Branded Handsets in order to ensure nothing in the firmware has a detrimental effect both on the handset itself and that nothing clashes with their Network.

I don't believe it's to force a person to buy a new model of phone that has the firmware for example loaded out of the box. 

Some more information here  Vodafone Firmware Statement.

Please keep checking your software update section of your phone as in my experience updates are usually pushed out in waves / batches. 

I hope it becomes available for you soon if it is released / compatible for your make of phone.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi,

Thanks for that reply! Couple of points I have to make here:

1. Marshamallow has been released nearly a year ago and often you get students/fans being able to compile entire own version of the system running smoothly on a wide range of phones in that timeframe, meanwhile Vodafone must have at least a few "experts" that could do so quicker.

2. I know it depends on whether the manufacturer releases the software to Vodafone (or any other network in case of branded smartphones), then it can be tested. If that's the case, if Vodafone could cooperate with ZTE on this particular phone (and I'm sure it hasn't taken them a year to build that) then also Vodafone can "demand" from ZTE or any other manufacturer to release updates software quicker in order to satisfy its customers, otherwise that's a poor cooperation between two companies.

3. If it's the money that are the issue and working on such updates is just not worth the effort by either or both of the companies, then better do not bother and just sell traditional smartphones only.

4. Android is the MOST vulnerable to malware and security threats mobile system, becuase of it's quite "open" architecture, therefore security updates should be able to "bypass" the usual waiting time here and also that requires better cooperation between those companies, to ensure that customers can use their phones without worrying about potential breaches.

4. Finally this particular smartphone set a new benchmark in terms of low-cost/hardware ratio, that alone can ensure that Vodafone will get at least some more customers, but if it's taken seriously by the network it won't be just one year affair, by updating this phone on and on and also releasing a new version every year (that undercuts the competition)  this can set a new precedent for Vodafone where customers would keep coming back to the brand becuase they can trust they'll receive the best phone "in its class" that's always "up to date". 

Ps. Motorola just annouced 3 new low-cost smartphones that will be a better offering than Ultra 6, meaning now it's also time for Ultra 7 to undercut that.

Nabs

@Frug000 I completely agree with you on the updates, I firmly believe all manufacturers should be required (by law if they have to) to ensure their smartphones are up to date and secure and there should be punishments for anyone failing to do that!

Unfortunately I think youre third point is probably the closest explanation to what really goes on. With such a cheap phone (at the time is was fantastic spec for the price!) i'd be surprised if Vodafone were making much, if any, money at all. By the time an update is developed, tested and rolled out the costs will have mounted up and I suspect the margins are so tight that they would be running at an overall loss for the device. 

If updates are a priority for you the news website ComputerWorld produces an annual report card on the major manufacturers upgrade performance, always an interesting read.

Totally agree, but after having the brilliant SU6 for over a year, and phsyically comparing it with the SU7, i think its time for a MOTO G4, better screen, better processor, marshmallow, and only £4 dearer. Sorry Voda, but looks like i may be jumping ship.

PE0MastaGeneral
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
I have 6.0.1 on a Note 4 and have ended up with ODIN boot screens, lag, WiFi issues, boot loop sequences, I wold suggest holding off for as long as possible :Smiling: