Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Android drivers missing from PC

Crbl
3: Seeker
My laptop is a good one but does not have a generic Android driver installed nor did Windows 7's driver search find anything. So when I connect my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 to the laptop, there is no way to transfer music or photos between them.
10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Good Evening 

Does anything in this help http://support.vodafone.co.uk/Device-Guides/Connectivity/Connecting-phone-and-computer/65604361/Tran... or perhaps use Google to see if any hits return sources to available drivers to use. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Crbl
Thanks for trying - I had tried this search before BUT it doesn't help when there is no Android driver. I put the phone into USB Debug mode as suggested: the devices and printers screen shows an unknown Android device. The Device Drivers in Control Panel lists the two drivers needed, but are not present. However, I shall try again to see whether they will install from the phone. I shall revert back afterwards to tell you what happens.

BandOfBrothers

Look forward to your update. 

Perhaps take a peek in any dedicated forums for your Computer version too. Their maybe some posts with help in. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Crbl
I'll look for Windows 7 users to see if someone has a solution. But why doesn't Vodafone simply offer a downloadable PC suite similar to those that were provided with Sony Ericssons or Samsungs handsets? Wouldn't that be easier for customers like me?

Crbl
Incidentally, all websites recommend using only Android drivers specific to the phone, which clearly I do not have because none were supplied. II would have thought that Vodafone would provide drivers.

Retired-Sarah
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Crbl There isn’t a PC Suite we supply for the Smart Ultra 6 as the phone should load as a generic MTP device under Windows.

Have you swiped down on the notification bar to choose between MTP or PTP mode and also ensured that USB tethering is turned off? This is described on page 37 of the online user guide

If the phone is in the correct mode and tethering is disabled, then there could be an issue with the MTP drivers on the machine. There appears to be option to update MTP drivers from Microsoft, with steps on how to do this.

The Microsoft MTP download link is designed for earlier Windows versions, as these drivers should be included with the OS, although the provided forum post suggests this is a valid fix.

If this fails, is it possible to confirm the make and model of the PC

you’re using?

If you could send a screenshot from Windows Device Manager (while the phone is connected via USB) with Disk Drives, Network Adapters and Ports (COM & LPT) headings expanded?

Please also confirm the Build version on the phone, listed under Settings>About phone>Build number.

Nabs

@Crbl if you are still having an issue you could try the generic Google USB Driver http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

SOLVED! There are still no drivers on my PC or on my other half's either when I tried to install the mobile there. Vodafone eventually said that our OS must be at fault - we are using Windows 7. So i gave up using the USB cable.

BUT, though I can't remember who gave me, or where I got, this alternative but it's brilliant - I installed the AIrMore App on the phone and followed instructions.

Using AirMore as a browser page, the phone and PC communicate via WiFi and I have downloaded all my pics this way instead. It means I can also see my contacts (all of them) on the PC, SIM-only and all, and delete dupes or edit them.

Ii am very happy with this as a solution, so far. I've not checked the contacts editing operation on my handset yet, but I see no reason why this wouldn't have worked.

hrym

That's useful to know.   I used Samsung's Kies Air, which sounds very similar, for a while.

For file management, there are apps, such as File Manager (Cheetah) and ES File Manager that can access a shared drive via wifi.