Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Call + and Message + uninstall

JosephTeency
3: Seeker

I have a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6. It came with Message and Call + pre installed. I wish to use the standard call and messaging programs so tried to uninstall it.

The app shows an uninstall updates and disable button. When used it says the app has been uninstalled and it disappears but after an overnight charge it re installs itself (even though the automatic update settings are unticked) This has happened several days running.

I have spoken to customer services today and they have suggested returning it to the store for a software reset but I get the impression this was because they do not have an answer and I am reluctant to lose the contents of the phone just on the off chance it may fix it. Anyone else had this problem.

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

I found this on Vodafones help and support pages. 

How-can-I-remove-the-Message-app.

FAQs

The Vodafone store employee would be able to check over the settings etc for you. 

A Factory reset would be a last resort. Creating a back up if the contents prior to factory reset would preserve your information. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi Lee

Thanks for your answer. This is what I have done and it does uninstall (or says its uninstalling) the app. It disappears but then is downloaded and re appears at the next update. 😞

63johnw

Hi, with that being a branded vodafone device you may not be able to delete the app.

What you should be able to do though is enter into your settings, then there should be a setting for default messaging app (in general tab on some devices) and then you can pick which app you want. You would need to ensure you have an alternative, such as hangouts, installed already. 

If you install hangouts then open and try to use it you may even just be given the option of setting it as the default messaging app.

HI CC

I am using the phones nomal message app as the default. The problem I am encountering is that I text someone from this app but if the recipient is also on Vodafone and replies it only shows on the Message + app and not the default app. Very frustrating but I don't want to be forced into using the app because of this.

63johnw
Ok I see.

I don't have that on the phone I am using at the minute. I take it disabling doesn't work either?

On a previous phone there was a setting somewhere that I can't remember that was to do with enabling RCS which is ued by message+, have you seen that enabled anywhere?

hrym

I agree with 63johnw.   Disabling the app would be the next thing to try.  If the only option is "disable updates", you won't be able to get rid of it completely.  Is the stock/vanilla message app in the app drawer?

JosephTeency

An interesting development. In relation to this app I have been clicking the disable button which uninstalls it only for it to return the following morning in a download. Yesterday I clicked on uninstall updates first and then disable to remove it. This morning I noticed it start to download but I also had the latest software update (Lollipop 5.1.1) which installed. The message + app has gone. Difficulty is I do not know if this is as a result of uninstalling the updates before disabling or as a result of the software download either way it has gone. 

hrym

The disable button won't uninstall the app, it'll just tell it to shut up.  I think it should also disappear from the app drawer and any homescreens you might have had it pinned to.   Updates will still come through as well, so don't uninstall those (it's possible the update process also reactivates it).  Leave it fully up to date and then disable it.

If you set something else as the default message app, the phone should respect that.

Hi CC

There is no uninstall button just a disable however pressing that does uninstall the app.

Another application can be used as default the problem I was experiencing was that the other application worked fine but if I text another vodafne user and they replied their reply only showed on message + even though that isn't the default and not to the default app. I therefore do not want it on my phone as I was missing messages if I didn't check both apps.