Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cubot One - No internet connectivity

KennyTempleton
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Recently bought a Cubot One for my daughter to replace a water damaged monthly contract phone. All great with the exception that the phone will NOT connect to the internet (unless on wireless). Have been into the Vodafone shop and they say the settings are correct.

I'm at a bit of a dead end. Any ideas out there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

iainmann
9: Established

To get 3G working on the Cubot One on Vodafone UK go into APN settings and change Authentication Type from Not Set to None. It will then work. 

View solution in original position

61 REPLIES 61

grolschuk  Hoorah - at last a dialogue with someone who wants tackle the issues. Thank you.

The 3G data issue occurs over the regular network - or using a sure signal femtocell I have in the office and at home. That signal is a solid 5 bars at all times.

I get 20Mb down/16Mb up using ookla speed test over the WIFi link - using the Voda 3G data link via suresignal I get "Network communication issues" - even when the test server is hosted by Vodafone.

The Vodafone data proxy is plainly "doing something" and I would love to know what ithat is. Because sometimes the service works over Voda 3g data - in fact it mostly worked over Voda 3g for months, and only in the past month or so has it got much less reliable.

After Google loses sync, pretty much everything with google stops. Chrome will not download a page - yet the native browser downloads pages with no hassle, Non google email works fine. All non-google aps that need internet access other than the speed test are fine, using the vodafone 3G data.

Currently, my only workaround is to get a 4G EE MiFi device and use that as a hotspot so the phone is viable when I am out of range of WiFi.  Maybe we should just forget all this nonsense and bring back landlines. eh? And at least you could always eat a carrier pigeon, in an emergency.

hrym I have only one sim in the phone at present  

The phone is specifically labelled WCDMA850/2100 GSM850/900/1800/1900MHz

It is made by ALPS, which is one of the best assemblers. It is really well made and user satisfaction is very good. It is not a piece of junk. 

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Yep thats one of the main things I think could be killing it.

The UK uses 900/2100 for 3G not 850/2100, so if anything starts to try to use the 850 portion of the conneciton, it will fail.

It may be well made, but it is made for a different market.

Also within the 2100 band each network uses a sub-section of frequencies. Picking numbers out of the air, if the device was designed for use for a market that uses 2100-2150 and vodafone use 2125-2175, it could cause issues when trying to work either side of the range.

As I mentioned, the best troubleshooting would be another handset that is supported to see if the issues follow, and if they do, you can then open a ticket for support.

A much more engaging answer than most, thanks; but it still doesn't quite address the point that I get perfectly good internet access over Vodafone 3G for everything that needs internet access - but Google related services. So what is different about Google IP compared to everyone else? Is it routed through different ports? Does it have to go via the NSA/ PRISM?

I cannot see a list of the devices that Vodafone says its supports, I can only refer again to the marketing spiel for the SIM: "Whatever your device, we've got a price plan for you"   ... and I have a whatever device.

All devices really ought to have basic diagnostics that can address these issues if the notion of "standards" is actually irrelevant, and each network needs to be hand-tuned. The level of data usage logging in the handset suggests this is not an unreasonable expectation.

I got an email just now from fizzback@vodafone.co.uk :-

Thanks for contacting us.

Can you spare a couple of minutes to help us improve the way we do things?

Just answer a few quick questions in our online survey.

Here is my response:-

You only need to read this forum thread to understand the problem:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-Queries/Complaint-for-Mr-Hoencamp/m-p/2141909#M120062

...your users are weary of the almost autonomic conditioned responses from your people.

And your marketing tells lies:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/get-a-sim-for-your-existing-device/

... this says "Whatever your device, we've got a price plan for you."

This is blatantly misleading. I have described an issue I have at great length concerning the way my Cubot One works fine in all respects, except that when trying to access any google apps over the Vodafone 3G data network - it appears to be blocked. But it worked fine for some months and then has got progessively worse. Why?

Every other internet service is accessible using the 3G data link, but not Google. Everything works using WiFi, so I feel this deserves a technical explanation, not simply a "we don't support your phone" response.

Please do not simply "do enough" to survive as a business and accept you have a poor customer satisfaction rating that you attempt to plaster over with huge PR and marketing campaigns (that only make your exasperated customers feel more likely to hate you for your insolence).

Go the extra mile, spend some money, and ensure you reach Amazon style satisfaction. Or give up, because sooner or later you will face a PR meltdown and your shareholders will demand explanations and want to see evidence like this that you listened to and acted intelligently to handle extreme customer dissatisfaction.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@uspnet wrote:

"Whatever your device, we've got a price plan for you."

This is blatantly misleading. I have described an issue I have at great length concerning the way my Cubot One works fine in all respects, except that when trying to access any google apps over the Vodafone 3G data network - it appears to be blocked. But it worked fine for some months and then has got progessively worse. Why?

Every other internet service is accessible using the 3G data link, but not Google. Everything works using WiFi, so I feel this deserves a technical explanation, not simply a "we don't support your phone" response.

It's not misleading - they are stating that they can provide you with a price plan for your handset.  At no point have they said that they will provide you with the support for the handset that you feel that they should be doing.   If you buy your own handset, and isn't one that is supported by the network, you can't expect them to provide you with technical support.  As said before, you would be best contacting the manufacturer of the handset. 

PWIAC

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

There is a list - it's the phones that Vodafone sells. If they don't sell it then it isn't supported. That seems to be common sense to me.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

grolschuk

So by that reasoning, if you were to go to the USA and buy an iPhone because they are really cheap over there...

Would it be vodafone's fault that the sim you purchase back in the UK will not work as expected with that handset?

There are too many makes and models designed for the different global markets to keep a list of what would work or not... There are probably 4 or 5 itterations of the iphone 5s alone, of which only one is fully supported by the UK networks.

As I mentioned above, the 1st step would be to see if it is a problem with the handset.

Who knows what is going on inside the software... it could be a bug that means the transport stacks are getting clogged up when on mobile data, but works differently on wifi.

Trying it on a phone sold by vodafone or any of the national phone retailers would either confirm or rule out a phone issue.

I would also expect there would be quite a few more people shouting very loudly if it was a network problem, the number of people using google phones all day every day, if everyone's sync failed while out and about, that would be newsworthy.

While the issues appear when connected to the data networks, it seems unreasonable to demand answers for something that as yet is not proven to be their problem, and things point more to the handset.

Hi all,

We've recently removed a post from this thread for breaching our house rules. Whilst we encourage conversation within the community, there are certain rules everyone must follow. This ensures the forum remains suitable for everyone, as well as being free from excess clutter.

The person whose post has been removed has been contacted privately.

If you're unfamiliar with the house rules, please take a minute to view them here.

Thank you

I have been a vodafone customer for a very very long time and if I had a choice of networks at home I would have dumped thme long since.   I have never found their customer service to be very nice to deal with at all.  I find them a truly frustrating organisation to deal with.   Mind you BT is far worse.  I have yet to get past their voice activated call system. 

I once got a phone from them which packed up after a few weeks but they refused to replace it, so I have been sim only ever since.

I agree with the poster, vodafone charge for a sim only deal they ought to support it on a range of phones not just the ones they sell at what I consider to be over the odds prices.