Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Emergency calls only despite signal

wenanwhere
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi. I've just got a new phone second hand and put my sim in. Depsite having mobile signal and H+ I'm not able to make calls or send text as it says emergency calls only. I have followed all the suggested steps in the network problems trouble shooting I found on here with no luck. I have also factory reset. Any other suggestions? 

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Can you try your Sim Card in another phone as a process of elimination to rule out the phone or sim card that may be at fault. Try another SIM card in your phone too if you can. 

I note you say it's 2nd hand. 

Is it definitely unlocked to all networks or open to Vodafone so it'll accept a Vodafone SIM card. 

Its possible the imei number of the phone maybe blacklisted. Where did you get the phone from May I ask. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi all.

The phone was from a friend who works for a phone retailer so it's definitely not dodgy.

The sim works fine in my old phone.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Sounds as though it's still locked to another network, as it will be showing you the strongest signal it can connect to for any purpose, even if that purpose is only making emergency calls. Indeed, I think you might be able make emergency calls without a SIM at all. Two years ago, I spent a fortnight in China, full signal all the time, but PAYG doesn't work in China, so all it was showing me was a notional ability to make emergency calls!

I.m less sure what you'd expect to see as far as mobile data is concerned, but check next with your friend whether he can unlock it for you, and/or what network it might be locked to, and see if that gives you any enlightenment.