Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Pixel on SIM only deal

mbnu99
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I recently made a complaint to Vodafone as I believe Pixel owners were not being treated fairly, here's why. My partner and I both have SIM only deals, she is using hers on a SIM only deal but using her old Samsung phone.

She gets access to Wi-Fi calling, VoLTE and Vodafone Wallet where I don't on my Pixel yet she pays the same amount for the same contract. 

The response I got was that the Pixel is a new device and it may get added to Vodafone Wallet and VoLTE in the summer although no one at Vodafone would confirm this so it's just words at the moment really. Unfortunately Vodafone don't sell the Pixel which is a shame as I think it's the best phone I've ever had, including the Nexus 6P I had before it. 

Perhaps if more people make a complaint to Vodafone about this issue we could get confirmation if they will better support functionality on the Pixel?

18 REPLIES 18

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

@mbnu99 wrote:

But aren't Vodafone the 2nd largest mobile telecoms privider in the world? surely that would give them some clout with Google. . . . . . if they bothered to even sell their phones that is? :smileywink:

Each country is an entirely different network to every other country - the only thing they have in common is the brand name.

In the UK they have a clear policy of concentrating on brands that are major sellers. Hence no Blackberrys, HTCs and other decent brands.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

jeffkinn
I’m sure from a software perspective Android could be adopted that way, but it wouldn’t be in anyone’s interests. Apple can do what they like as they are too powerful to be ignored or taken on.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Nabs

Ah I see, yes the PayPal functionality is handy!

Amex appear to have Tap and Pay (the framework behind Android Pay) built into their own app though, maybe worth a look? 
https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/mobile-app/#Mod9

Oh that's annoying! I guess they've only enabled it in Gmail in the UK then 😞 The only alternatives I can find after a quick search are all full VoIP solutions which won't really give the same experience.

Hi there,

From what I read Vodafone has supported VoLTE for a while (on supported devices) https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/benefits/high-definition-voice-calls/

Not only that but Canada's largest telecoms Provider (Rodgers) will be rolling out VoLTE to all Pixel owners when Android 7.1.2 is released, why can't Vodafone UK do the same?

jeffkinn

@mbnu99 wrote:

Hi there,

From what I read Vodafone has supported VoLTE for a while (on supported devices) https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/benefits/high-definition-voice-calls/

HD voice is not VoLTE - they are different products. There is no VoLTE in the UK yet.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

@mbnu99 wrote:

Hi there,

Not only that but Canada's largest telecoms Provider (Rodgers) will be rolling out VoLTE to all Pixel owners when Android 7.1.2 is released, why can't Vodafone UK do the same?

Hd calls are not voLTE. 

It provides a clearer crisper connection over 3G

"ndent

HD Voice is available for Vodafone-to-Vodafone calls on compatible mobiles. The service has been rolled out across the UK on our 3G network."

voLTE is over 4G. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for that Lee, I can see from an earlier post that VoLTE and HD Voice are not the same, well almost as HD Voice is also not on the Pixel

:smileyvery-happy:

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the Pixel does actually use a similar feature to Carrier Profiles which is why this is possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You'll probably be glad you don't have VoLTE yet because at least on EE the call drops if you're moving about and go out of good 4G range