Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Pixel on SIM only deal

mbnu99
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I recently made a complaint to Vodafone as I believe Pixel owners were not being treated fairly, here's why. My partner and I both have SIM only deals, she is using hers on a SIM only deal but using her old Samsung phone.

She gets access to Wi-Fi calling, VoLTE and Vodafone Wallet where I don't on my Pixel yet she pays the same amount for the same contract. 

The response I got was that the Pixel is a new device and it may get added to Vodafone Wallet and VoLTE in the summer although no one at Vodafone would confirm this so it's just words at the moment really. Unfortunately Vodafone don't sell the Pixel which is a shame as I think it's the best phone I've ever had, including the Nexus 6P I had before it. 

Perhaps if more people make a complaint to Vodafone about this issue we could get confirmation if they will better support functionality on the Pixel?

18 REPLIES 18

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Vodafone does not use voLTE yet. 

I assume your wife's Samsung phone was supplied by Vodafone directly and is one of the accepted Samsung models. 

I like the Pixel and look forward to the new models too. Unfortunately Vodafone has decided not to add those models to the accepted handsets and may or may not do. Calling Over WiFi is imo still in its infancy so im.sure they want to get it all ironed out. 

Wasn't the Pixel an exclusive model for a particular network ee i believe a bit like  o2 only providing the iPhone at first. 

Of course people can buy sim free as I do but then this can have ramifications such as certain features not being offered for a model the network does not supply. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Nabs

This is the unfortunate downside to buying an unbranded device.

If you were to purchase through Vodafone you'd be subjected to preinstalled Vodafone applications and delayed OS updates, neither of which are desirable.

Vodafone make it clear the list of devices eligible for each of their services and it's entirely up to them if they choose to support additional devices or not.

I'm personally in favour of Vodafone making the services available to everyone on the clear basis that they will only provide assistance for approved devices, anyone using a non-approved device does so at their own risk.

As @BandOfBrothers VoLTE is not available yet and there have been no indications of it's launch anytime soon so I don't imagine you're going to be missing out on much.

Google provide alternatives for both WiFi Calling (Google Voice) and Vodafone Wallet (Android Pay), have you had a look at these?

Hi there,

I do have Android Pay installed but it doesn't connect ot PayPal or my Amex card, both of which would be good.

Thanks for your suggestion of Google Voice, I've just looked at that and it says on the Playstore "This item is not available in your country", which is the UK by the way, I will search for other alternatives though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be so useful if Android supported the same Carrier Profile feature that iOS devices use, then you'd have none of these issues with compatibility.

jeffkinn

That cannot happen because iOS is a sole piece of software. Android is an open source product and each version is different to every other version - hence so-called fragmentation.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even so, moving forward if Android itself had carrier profile functionality I could see it working well as it would just say which services were supported by the network and have settings built in. Basic Android is pretty much the same across all devices it's just what the manufacturers/networks put on top that's different.

Nabs

@Anonymous@jeffkinn there would be no reason this couldn't be implemented however I can't see how it will provide any direct benefit to Google so the chances of it happening are fairly slim. Even if it did happen there would be nothing to stop the manufacturers taking the functionality out.

Google would be wise copying the Apple implementation onto their own phones, Pixel and Nexus, so the networks existing system needed minimal if any, modification to support it. That way you've already got compatibility with all major carriers and customers who want the features will be more inclined to purchase a Google branded device.

jeffkinn
I’m sure from a software perspective Android could be adopted that way, but it wouldn’t be in anyone’s interests. Apple can do what they like as they are too powerful to be ignored or taken on.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

But aren't Vodafone the 2nd largest mobile telecoms privider in the world? surely that would give them some clout with Google. . . . . . if they bothered to even sell their phones that is? :smileywink: