Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

LG G3 Switching itself off

Nabs
17: Community Champion

I've come across 2 instances of LG G3's just switching themselves off randomly and not coming back on until connected to the charger or had the battery pulled and replaced.

Both the devices in question are from Vodafone and came with Android 4 before beign updated. I have a third device that hasn't been updated and has never had the issue. A 4th device came from Vodafone with the lateest firmware already installed.

This would make me think that there has been some kind of issue with the upgrade process that has left some conflicts behind that has caused the problem. 

The internet recommends a factory reset which we are in the process to trying. Failing that they recommend a repair/replacement through the retailer. One of the devices is only a week old so if it's likely to be an ongoing problem I think we will go down the replacement router whilst still in the cooling off period. 

Anyone else had any experience of this?

13 REPLIES 13

BandOfBrothers
Hi

Nice choice of phone. 😎

After updating a phones OS it is suggested that a Hard Reset is carried out to remove any old code. A bit like a spring clean. Of course creating that back up to preserve data and remove any SD Cards.

You can feedback things like this to LG and they may introduce a patch in their next update if enough end users report the same issues.

I also advocate approaching the Manufacturer as they know their hardware and software better than a 3rd party repair centre.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@bandofbrothers1 wrote:
After updating a phones OS it is suggested that a Hard Reset is carried out to remove any old code. A bit like a spring clean. Of course creating that back up to preserve data and remove any SD Cards..

I think you'll find that Nabs is aware of this :smileywink:

PWIAC

thesoupdragon

@Nabs

The Phones affected; Do they have "Auto Update/Install" enabled from Google Play Store?

I have seen an instance where multiple updates has caused a bottleneck in the system, resulting in the Phone rebooting to protect itself. (which Android is designed to do, as you know...)

TSD

Nabs
Thanks all.
Have tried a factory reset and so far today it's been OK.

@thesoupdragon auto updates are enabled but they don't seem to tie in with the random shutdowns, it's happened when there has been poor data connection so there wouldn't have been any updates going on at the time.

Nabs

Soa  factory reset hasn't sorted the problem. It seems we have narrowed it down to hardware and in my mind we are looking at a faulty charger or a faulty device. The charger seems to work fine with other devices so i'd be inclined to exclude that which woudl lead to a faulty device.

Unless the community have any other suggestions I think it's time to send it back to Vodafone. :smileysad:

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Do you have another charger to try it with Nabs?  Perhaps the one from the HTC One?  I seem to think it is a similar rating.

Also, have you tried charging the device switched off?  Does that have any impact.

PWIAC

Nabs

When it has happened previously it's been on both a wireless charging dock and plugged in so i think the charge may be a red herring. Having said that todays test is to try with a different charger, just to definitively rule that out :smileywink:

drey_p

Were you using the same charger on the wireless dock as you were when it was plugged in?

Do you think it may actually be an issue with the battery perhaps?  Dodgy batteries sometimes exhibit weird behaviour.

PWIAC

Nabs

The wireless charger was completely different (different plug and cable)

A faulty battery is a high possibility, Unfortunately I don't have a spare (nor time left in the cooling off period to get another) to try so if todays test still indicates a hardware issue then I think a new device will be the best option...