Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

LG G3 constant ims framework issue on bootup, after a hard reset

normajoan48
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

My phone had to be factory reset, aided by vodafone staff, because the phone suddenly asked for a pin code (which I never had set-was using a knock-code). After this reset, my phone now constantly shows an error message :- 'Unfortunately ims framework has stopped'.

I have noticed that many people online have had the problem, seemingly related to Lollipop compatibility with certain phones. The help offered here:-

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S5/Unfortunately-ims-framework-has-stopped/td-p/23488...

by user Diamat does not seem to help, as there is no Rich Communications SMS setting to turn off. I would rather have a complete fix than a workaround, to have to use a phone with potential future issues.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/489509-vodafone-has-rom-issues-again.html

Further resets for me do not aid the issue, it keeps coming back after a while.

Update - I have a contract phone, which was taken out fairly recently. I am not sure if had insurance initially or not. Judging by other users identical 'IMS error' problems, the issue seems to be primarily with the Lollipop OS, so a replacement (even if it was possible) probably isn't worth it. Some users suggest a vodafone repair for a fee or not on the forum-does a system repair involve anything than simply someone else doing that hard reset? As a true Lollipop issue, it seems unlikely anything other than installing a different OS or a major update will aid the problem.

Thanks for any help or suggestions :smileyhappy:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

From what you have described, it sounds like the sign into your Google account triggered everything again but it is hard to say for certain.

With your SD card, any chance you could back up your documents and format it?  That will help to reduce any risk that something on there is corrupt and causing all sorts of headaches.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

drey_p

HI there

The links you've posted refer to an issue that affected a different handset to yours and that has been resolved for a while by a firmware update.

When you are performing the factory reset, are you making sure that you don't install any apps afterwards?  The reason I ask is that I am wondering if Google is restoring some settings that are causing the issues.  Could you try again without signing into Google and seeing if this resolves your issues. 

PWIAC

No applications were installed to the phone thereafter. I dont think any major app updates were either, before the next switch on. One thing I have had on pretty continuously however, is WiFi. After a few restarts to test, I have noted that the IMS framework error only appears after boot up when WiFi is ever on, if turned off, no message. Data on alone - no message, Data and WiFi, or just WiFi - the message is back.

I'll try making sure I'm logged out of google for the initial switch-on after a hard reset, and try again. thanks.

drey_p

Please let us know how you get on as this information could help someone else.

PWIAC

After a hard reset last night, after the phone fully updated, without installing any apps, creating or logging in to any google account, I didn't receive the ims message whenever I booted with wifi still on. Everything seemed good, but today, after phone use (creating a google account, installing a couple of programs) it was back. I don't think it is a google issue though.

--------------------

(powering up with wifi automatically set to on, for each case) :-

If the sd card is not inserted, the error message appears. The sd seems to be ok, no corruption.

If I remove the sim card, the message is gone.

Also, with both sd and sim removed, there is no error.

If I turn wifi off with both sd and sim still in, on the next boot the ims message is gone, and the symbol for wifi does not show as expected.

--------------------

On the LG G3 whenever the sim is in, as long as I remember to disable wifi manually before powering off, the phone is ok on the next boot. Turning the wifi option on manually does not give an ims error at any time during use. Enabling data instead of wifi, also gives no error. Last night seems to have been down to luck (or most likely, forgetting to test with the sim card in). 

Enabling both wifi and data to come on at boot is 50-50, sometimes the message appears, sometimes not (sometimes the wifi symbol appears, sometimes not-although whether this is showing or not does not seem to relate to the error message). I have also found that if I keep wifi on, and switch off, remove sim, restart, switch off again, then put the sim back in, the ims message might not appear until a few more restarts. This suggests that the ims framework or boot up is buggy.

I tend to only use the internet through wifi at home. I usually do not set the wifi to come on at boot, so this issue may have been with the phone for longer than I realise, but it wasnt there from the very beginning. I also thought about the idea of a damaged sim, although it seems ok and has not been taken out until this error started. Searching online, the ims framework seems to be vodafone only firmware. Perhaps a future update will be able to fix it.

Thanks.

drey_p

From what you have described, it sounds like the sign into your Google account triggered everything again but it is hard to say for certain.

With your SD card, any chance you could back up your documents and format it?  That will help to reduce any risk that something on there is corrupt and causing all sorts of headaches.

PWIAC

Thinking back,I think the ims message first appeared after using the pc to add or browse its sd content via usb, but I did not think it related to the error at first. Perhaps that lead to a corrupt sd card after all, as I've left the micro sd card out permanently again (sandisk sdhc class 4) and after a couple of restarts the phone is now ok, no errors any more.I've also re-inserted, no errors yet. Whilst using the computer to browse the sd, the pc might have been trying to scan files during ejection.

There was nothing ever on the sd card aside from mp3s (and empty folders,seemingly relating to app or general configuration, yet no data contained). Removing the sd card last night with the sim still in still gave me the ims error though, so I don't know what has changed today, perhaps removing the card and booting up without it saved the relevant files to the error back on to the phone?

I see how the ims framework for ip media might relate to google connectivity, but I don't know how the error could relate to a corrupt sd. Judging by these forums, for other phones (samsung and sony) with same ims error, other users pointed towards joyne 'rich text' (vodafone sms+ and chat) which would have to be forced off to remove the error message.

With the sd left out, the only issue today is that after adding new albums (via usb again) to phone memory, some music tracks disappeared on one occasion, but at the moment the phone is ok. Perhaps the android platform is just buggy in general. I will consider transferring files wirelessly from pc to phone and vice versa from now on unless absolutely necessary, just in case usb corruption was the original issue. If I do use the sd it will still only be for music. If the message happens again I will finally replace with a new sd card to test, as from other sd use with other devices I can see how easy it can be for them to corrupt.

Thanks.

drey_p

Have you backed up your data and formatted the card yet?

That could help to resolve the issue.  I was having random issues with my S5 a little while back and a full format of the SD card sorted that out.  Sometimes the most unexpected things can cause glitches. 

PWIAC

The card only had music, but after a couple of music files went missing after adding them back on to the phone, I formatted the card and changed the music content - admittedly it was just a quick format. If there was a good application to check the health of the phone and sd memory I might look into that