Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MiFi Data Usage Streaming

kimtassell
1: Seeker

I have been streaming Olympic coverage through BBC iPlayer in standard definition and the usage is massive - I used 7GB over 1 day and 2GB the previous day. I have double checked we are not watching in HD which I know eats Data. This eveing we watched for 25 minutes and used 0.54 GB. What is wrong?

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Streaming will use lots more data.

Also viewing more rich content pages uses data too. 

What device are you using to watch the programme on ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

63johnw
Hi. I dont think anything is wrong, thats comparable to what I was getting when watching the tour de france a few weeks back.

To be streaming a lot you need a lot of data.

63johnw

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@kimtassell wrote:

I have been streaming Olympic coverage through BBC iPlayer in standard definition and the usage is massive - I used 7GB over 1 day and 2GB the previous day. I have double checked we are not watching in HD which I know eats Data. This eveing we watched for 25 minutes and used 0.54 GB. What is wrong?

What is wrong?  Nothing really.  Streaming TV on your mobile device does result in a huge consumption of data. As a rough guide, a one hour long Standard Definition programme will use just over 1GB of data.  The same length programme will use over 2GB - probably closer to about 2.5GB

I would recommend that you change over to WiFi when you want to stream TV otherwise you could end up with a pretty hefty bill. 

PWIAC