Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moto G3 not seeing sim card following trip to the Vodafone shop

stockarth07
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I purchased a Motorola Moto G 3rd Gen from Amazon a week and half ago. The instructions say to get a micro sim and not use an adaptor (I previously had an iphone 5s with a nano sim).  I went to a Vodafone store last Saturday and asked for a micro SIM (following the instructions that came with the phone).  The guy in the shop, took my phone and nano sim off me.  He got a new sim out of the drawer and popped the nano sim out of it, replacing it with mine to form a microsim and gave me back the phone with the sim in it.  Over the last week, the signal has been becoming more tempremental.  Today I lost signal completely.  I took the back off the phone and removed the sim, which was tricky as the sim and adapter had come lose.  I then noticed that one of the prongs of the SIM slot was missing, which I am guessing had come loose or something when the SIM was inserted and has moved during the week, finally falling off when I removed the SIM??

My new phone will now not pick up a network at all (it's unlocked so I've tried  my vodaphone sim and a micro sim on EE).  I'm feeling very angry, as I asked specifically for a micro sim.  I already had an adapter I could have used, but the instructions for the phone specifically say not to, this is obviously why!  I am back to using my iphone (thankfully I had't sold it) and now have a brick for a new phone!

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @stockarth07

I can understand why the Vodafone employee did this as it's most of the time faster to use an adapter.

Edit for clarity on my meaning. When the person pushes out the nano part of the multi sim and then pushes the nano sim into the micro sim sized frame , then that frame becomes an adapter.

No possible delays for the sim swap to complete. They usually take minutes but can occasionally be 24 hours to settle and some do rarely glitch causing issues.

I use sim adapters all the time with no issues at all. 

That way would then also let you to continue using the iPhone too until you sold it on maybe. 

That said if you requested a Sim Swap then I can't see why they would circumvent that request with using an adapter.

If this had been my situation I'd have said "I understand what your doing but I require a Sim Swap please" and not left the shop until this had been done or they'd had supplied me a blank SIM card so I could have performed the sim swap at home. 

I think the difficulty now is proving the actions of the employee caused the physical damage. Did you by chance check beforehand if the sim prongs were intact ?

You could contact the seller or the manufacturer and advise them one of the sim contacts has broken / missing. I can't tell you what stance they'll take but due to the length of time owned I would have thought they'd help.

It is entirely up to you if you decide to divulge if a sim was inserted with adapter. 

Hope all goes ok. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

63johnw
Hi. Just checking, are you sure it's an adaptor as all sims I have received lately are ones that contain all sizes and you pop out the size you require, it may look like an adaptor but could be one of the multi sim cards.

AnnS

Hi @stockarth07

As mentioned by @63johnw, the SIM's are multi SIM's and the store would have taken out the SIM for your phone and put it straight in to the phone and activated the SIM ready for use.

Provided you followed the instructions for removing the SIM, you need to return the phone to Amazon as a faulty product and ask them to make an exchange.

westyrf
4: Newbie
Thanks for your responses.

The sim prongs were in tact beforehand as the sim worked when initially inserted into the phone.

When I asked for a micro SIM the guy said that popping the nano SIM out and replacing it with my sim was the same thing (I trusted him). I think it would have been ok if it'd have been a new muli SIM, as the new nano would be fixed in it but obviously my nano sim didn't sit completely tightly in the hole if the micro SIM.

There's only one way to remove the sim. Don't think it's possible to do it wrong.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome.  :Smiling:

Hopefully the advice will help. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.