Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Motorola Moto G

fryalt
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hey, first of all you should know i'm portuguese so i'm sorry if i say something wrong! :Smiling:

I want to purchase this specific phone but here in Portugal, they aren't available on vodafone's store! I'm a client for over 10 years and i'm trying to arrange something. I checked on Amazon and saw that Vodafone UK was selling it. I want the 4.5'' version (2013) and Pay as you Go. The thing is that i can't use it because its locked in the UK and once it gets here in Portugal, roaming will activate. Can you arrange something? I really wish i could buy this phone and use it here! What can i do? 

I'm sorry to bother you but Vodafone Portugal wasn't really helpfull and since the company is the same you would profit anyway and keep a good client happy

Thanks and sorry if you had problems understanding

All the best,

Francisco Pereira

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

If you purchase the phone from Amazon with a Vodafone UK PAYG SIM card, it will probably be locked to Vodafone UK. You would need to get it unlocked but the issue that you have is that you would need to pay for the unlocking.  The only way to do that is to top up with at least £20 to cover the cost of the unlocking. You won't be able to top up as you need a UK credit / debit card and UK address.

I'm afraid that there is very little Vodafone UK can do to assist you with this issue.  It may be best to wait until the phone becomes available for general sale in your country. 

PWIAC

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

drey_p

Hi there

If you purchase the phone from Amazon with a Vodafone UK PAYG SIM card, it will probably be locked to Vodafone UK. You would need to get it unlocked but the issue that you have is that you would need to pay for the unlocking.  The only way to do that is to top up with at least £20 to cover the cost of the unlocking. You won't be able to top up as you need a UK credit / debit card and UK address.

I'm afraid that there is very little Vodafone UK can do to assist you with this issue.  It may be best to wait until the phone becomes available for general sale in your country. 

PWIAC

Unfortunatelly i think Vodafone Portugal won't sell this equipment! :s

Even if i choose to buy the locked equipment and then purchase the NUC it won't help me because i need an UK adress to buy it, is that correct? 

I was investigating and would be cheaper if i bought the locked version (90 GBP + 20 GBP) which is around 140€. 
The sim free version costs around 158€ :s

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Of course, if you buy the SIM free version, you can use it immediately with any network and won't have to a) wait for Motorola to provide the unlock code and b) have to mess around trying to organise the unlock in a different country.   You might think 18 euros was cheap for the lack of hassle!

Slightly OT, I recently read a review that said the MOTO G was dual SIM.   I don't know whether this is correct (the reviewer might have got hold of a non-UK version), but it would be mighty handy if it was!

Edited to add: the Motorola website is silent on the subject, but Amazon list a dual SIM version for the same price as the vanilla one.  Not sure if they're the same or not.  The usual caveats about operating frequencies for the UK apply.