Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Nexus 6p question

lukeharding
4: Newbie

Hi,

I am due for an upgrade any day. I have called today to be told that Vodafone can only supply a 32gb Nexus 6p. The only phone I would consider as an alternative is a Note 5 which for reasons only known to Samsung isn't available in the UK. The S6 Edge+ is ok but it's far too expensive for what it offers.

Can I get someone here to tell me definitively whether a 64gb or 128GB Nexus 6p is going to become available in the coming weeks or whether it's 32gb or nothing? 32gb is no use to me as cloud storage isn't an option as I live in an area with no 3g let alone 4g!

I've been with Vodafone for 20 odd years and this is the first time I have come back for an upgrade and found that they don't offer a single handset I want! I really don't want to leave but the thought of having to compromise on a handset for 2 years isn't an option! The 6p and Note5 are probably the two best Android handsets available and it seems I can buy neither from Vodafone (for differing reasons!)

It seems the only option anyone can offer me is a Sony Xperia Z5 Premium. Which isn't in the same league as the phones mentioned above (although I imagine the cost would be!)

So, any chance I'll be able to get the phone I want in the near future or will I have to leave in order to get the handset I want?

Many Thanks

Luke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion

As a workaround, you could buy an OTG (on the go) cable and attach a USB thumb drive of any size to store music or video...

I do that with my Nexus tablet, I can watch my mp4 movies direct from the external USB.

That way you can have the phone you want without the worry of storage.

Get a cable first (only a few pounds online) and a USB drive go into a Vodafone store and check that it works with the phone of your choice.

TSD

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

hrym

I'm afraid the only way you can see what's coming is to look at the dedicated page.   There's also a "register your interest" option so that you get updates proactively.

There's been quite a lot of discussion, both here and elsewhere, about 32gb devices that don't have an expansion option.   Time was, that was an ocean of available storage, but the demands of both OSs and users have meant that it's becoming pretty much the basic option.

The alternative would be to buy the device you want SIM free, but that depends on your willingness to fund a not inconsiderable cost upfront.

thesoupdragon

As a workaround, you could buy an OTG (on the go) cable and attach a USB thumb drive of any size to store music or video...

I do that with my Nexus tablet, I can watch my mp4 movies direct from the external USB.

That way you can have the phone you want without the worry of storage.

Get a cable first (only a few pounds online) and a USB drive go into a Vodafone store and check that it works with the phone of your choice.

TSD

can get it from Ebay imported from another country.

or maybe Amazon aswell.

I wanted Note 5 but got Galaxy S6 edge Plus instead.

hrym

Be careful with non-UK spec devices as they sometimes work on different (incompatible) frequencies.

lukeharding
4: Newbie
Yeah, I'm not going to go down the route of buying the handset from abroad, I can just see that becoming a pain in the backside! I have to say that I am amazed at the poor selection of handsets Vodafone offer these days. Someone has seriously taken their eye off the ball on the private customer side. Add to that the very hit and miss customer service (sometimes brilliant other times awful) and the high cost compared with other suppliers and I would imagine they have a lot of work to do in the future.

To give an example, the first rep I spoke to told me in no uncertain terms that they didn't even sell a nexus 6p! I had to email him a page from their OWN website in order to convince him.....!

Susanbaker
1: Seeker

I guess Note 5 will be a better option than Nexus 6p. When you are having a good budget, you should go for a good option like Note 5. I just love the S Pen and its amazing camera quality. I purchased mine from T-Dimension with special discount and it has also arrived on time within a week. They should have 64gb so you should check it out asap! Note 5 is a hot model after all!!