Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Nokia 2730 Classic - Email Set up

Asahm
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am trying to set up an email account on this Nokia Phone - for an address ending

@phonecoop.coop

As I cannot do it automatically - how can I do it manually please?

I aim to connect to the Internet via my VodaFone PAYG account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

I can see what you're trying to do, and I've done it on a variety of devices.  In the end, I transferred to Gmail, getting it to pick up mesages from my old service automatically.   I'm using Android devices, so the attraction of the Gmail app, that requires no setup, is great.

If you set Gmail to pull in messages from your existing service, you'll be able to achieve what you want: read new messages on that service, albeit on Google, not the original.  You'd still be able to use the original service on other devices.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers

Hi

Does page 18 help in https://www.spark.co.nz/content/dam/kb/private/attachments/26444/Nokia%202730%20-%20%20User%20Guide....

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

It did help -  to a point thank you - bandofof brothers - I had read it before I posted my question. - it was remiss of me to not say I had seen it already.

What I partcularly noted on the page referenced was this

"The settings may be available from Nokia."

- the key word is - may - which also means may not - however as I know some folk are extremely clever - I just thought I would ask & see if someone reading the forum does have experience with manual set up of email with this generation of Nokia phones.

Thank you very much for your answer, maybe others will now follow.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

Now that so many email options are available from Hotmail to options supplied by an isp providers etc most recent phones / smartphones are designed to be able to input the email address and passwords etc they self set up. 

The manuals sometimes have instructions in them that were relevant at the time of the launch of the phones. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

The settings for a particular service would normally be available from the service itself.  Does this one have a website?   If there aren't specific settings for the particular model of phone you're using, you can usually adapt the ones for MS Outlook.   The entries will be the same, but the fields may have different names.

What you need are your username (usually your email address) and password.   Most of the other settings won't vary from the default, but you may need to play around with security if it doesn't work first time.  SLS/TLS is the most common.   Sometimes you need to turn it off altogether.

Sending messages can be more tricky as not all services have their own SMTP server.  If they do, it's likely to require authenticaion, which basically means it won't accept messages until you've signed in.   There's usually a tick-box option for this.   If the service doesn't have its own server, you'll need to find another one you have access to.   Vodafone doesn't have one, but your home inernet provider (if you have one) may.   The catch, though, is that these will often accept connections only through their own network.

The workround, if you've exhausted all other possibilities, is to sign up for an email service that does support sending, such as Gmail.   To send messages, you need to set up the details for that service, and probably tell it to authenticate first too.   Gmail is likely to send messages as-from your Gmail address, but you can go into its settings (on the website) and tell it to send as-from anything you like.

Sorry it's complicated, but email can be. :smileysad:

Thanks for the answer - I hope it helps someone - as far as I can tell the phone just sllows a click on a link to automatically set up the account after the email address and password alone have been entered,

I realise gmail is possible - but the purpose of doing it is to be able to access an existing email account when 'on the go' rather than to send the odd email.

I hope nobody goes to a lot of trouble over this - it is case of trying to get a better facility than we have used since the phone was first purchase a while ago,

The phone works fine as it is and we will probably stick with it - NOT everything in life is better for getting an immediate response!

hrym

I don't know exactly how this particular phone works, but if it has full email capability, it should have the option to enter the settings manually, even if it tries to do it automatically in the first instance.   It may be thta you need to go with the auo option first, then edit what it's done.   My old Symbian-based Nokia N78 certainly did all that and the Android-based devices I use now do also (though I find it much easier to use the Gmail app there, of course).

The point about using Gmail was firstly that the device it more likely to be able to find the settings and secondly that it has an SMTP servier (for sending) that you can use.   Yes, the purpose would be email access on the move.   To be clear, I was suggesting moving your email access to Gmail and setting it to send as from your other address.   You can also get Gmail to pick messages up from other services, so the process should be completely transparent.

Thanks as I said, I am not going to bother at the moment.

Coincidentally, I sent the query seperately to Phonecoop my ISP, who responded with a link to step by step set up instructions to what appeared to be this phone. I tried working through those instructions but not long after I started with them what the instructions said & the phone did diverged so again I gave up for now.

I realise email accounts such as are offered by google may well be easier to setup, but the whole point is a facility was wanted to read the existing email acount's new messages not set up another one altogether!

That reminds me that over 15 years ago with a previous mobile phone I had a unique email account via Vodafone, but cannot now recall how that was styled, the phone was certainly less sophisticated than the current devices.

hrym

I can see what you're trying to do, and I've done it on a variety of devices.  In the end, I transferred to Gmail, getting it to pick up mesages from my old service automatically.   I'm using Android devices, so the attraction of the Gmail app, that requires no setup, is great.

If you set Gmail to pull in messages from your existing service, you'll be able to achieve what you want: read new messages on that service, albeit on Google, not the original.  You'd still be able to use the original service on other devices.

As I said, I am not going to bother, so I do not need any more replies, thank you, one and all.

Incidentally I discovered the name used for those earlier Vodafone email accounts, it was Vizzavi which was reported to be going to close in 2003.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/03/vodafone_pulls_the_plugs/