Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems accessing BT Internet from Android

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi all

I have posted here but it may be an idea to put this on the main board for any other Vodafone users who may be experiencing the same problem and are looking for a soluition.

I am having a problem logging onto BT Internet using Android.  At the moment, I am using the LG4 but have the same problem using my old S3.

Trying to connect to the BT.Com site throws up the error 'This application is having trouble connecting to the server'.  I have tried to add an account both manually and automatically.  Trying to add the settings automatically returns incorrect log in details.  Manually will proceed from the first step.

I have been looking at the thread below from BT Community but not had much success.

https://business.forums.bt.com/t5/Email/Android-E-mail-Set-Up-A-10-step-or-less-guide-With-Screensho...

I am sure I am not alone wanting to access BT Internet mail from an Android device.

Thanks all.

2 REPLIES 2

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

I fear I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, @AnnS, but I'm not apparently having any problems with this.

Quite recently I factory reset my Smart 4 Mini, and had to set up the mail app again, which seemed to go OK. However, in case I did something "odd" then, I've just tried setting it up on the loan HTC M9, which I've not used much recently, and where I hadn't set up the mail app at all, although I had set up the gmail app.

So I launched the mail app, asked to add an account, chose "other" for the account, entered my btinternet email address and password, and just used Next. After a short pause it appeared to think it had done it, although I got 'This application is having trouble connecting to the server' errors when I then tried to look at the settings it had chosen.

So, to try to find out whether it had actually set it up, I used my gmail account from my PC, and sent my bt address a trial email. The HTC mail app duly received it, and I was able to reply. So it looked as though the HTC mail app had set it up OK.

I then decided to look at the BT webmail site from the HTC. Using Google Chrome, I went to the BT login page - which I have bookmarked as https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform - logged in with my btinternet email address and password, and my trial message was in the Inbox. So I replied!

Now I can see both replies (from the HTC mail app and the one sent from the BT webmail site) in my gmail inbox. So both routes seem to have worked fine.

There is one interesting development - I've since tried logging in again to BT webmail, both from my PC and from the HTC, and both get the following error message: "Sorry. We're experiencing a temporary problem with Email and are working to fix it as soon as possible. Please try again later. Sorry if this causes any inconvenience." So it could just be that their mail server is in a mess, and that you've hit the wrong moment to try. Or, alternatively, that I have broken their server!

Just tried accessing BT from my PC using IE9 - I got in OK, and could see the trial message and the reply sent from the server, but BT doesn't much like IE9, so gave me basic mail rather than the usual appearance.

I've a feeling I may be answering the wrong question, but I hope this helps?

Annie.

AnnS

All working now. I think it was a problem at BT end yesterday, even trying to log in from the BT.Com site failed.

For anyone else having a problem, the solution is below.

Incoming:

Username : xxxx@btinternet.com

Password: xxxxxxxx

POP3 or IMAP Server: mail.btinternet.com

Security: SSL

Port: 995 or 993 if IMAP

Delete from server: Up to you

Outgoing:

SMTP Server: mail.btinternet.com

Security type: SSL

Port: 465

Require Sign in (Tick box)