Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart Ultra 6 Pay as you go Warranty

estookay
4: Newbie

Hi

I purchased a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 pay as you go handset in October 2015. Recently it developed the issue that the left and right edges of the screen are not responding to touches. (The same issue is discussed here: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/Smart-Ultra-6-screen-not-responding-on-edges/m-p/2503432#M12...)

I took it back to the store it was purchased (Merry Hill) and the manager stated that it was out of warranty as it is over a year old.

However, as pointed out by other members, the warranty should be 24 months, as stated on the website: https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Account-bill-and-top-up/Lost-stolen-and-damaged/Warranty-and-insuranc...

I showed this to them in store, and they decided they would commence the repair process. I had to suspend this however, as I could not be offered a replacement temporary handset to use in the mean time.

I since was able to obtain another handset, and then took the Smart Ultra 6 to another store to send off for repair. The West Bromwich store also stated that the warranty was only 12 months. But after contesting this and stating what it shown on the website, they booked it in for repair.

However, on the paperwork, it states CHARGEABLE of the amount £66.

I am writing this message as a preventative measure in case there is dispute over charges for the repair, and would much appreciate it if a Vodafone representative can confirm that I am within the warranty period and should not have to pay for the repair.

I would also like to point out that on the manual for the Smart Ultra 6 there is no mention of warranty periods, but on the manual for the Smart First, it states there is a warranty period of 2 years (Section 14 on https://www.vodafone.com/content/dam/group/devices/downloads/smartfirst/VF_VF695_GB_UM_Eng_GB_09_150...)

Finally, there has been mixed responses from the chat. Last week they responded stating I have 24 months warranty, and today it was 12 months! I asked to be provided a link to any terms or conditions that state that the warranty is anything other than 24 months, and nothing could be provided.

4 REPLIES 4

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi. It is a 24 month warranty but if there are any signs of physical (scratches etc) or water damage the warranty could be voided and you may be charged.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @estookay

I'm really disappointed as we are seeing more and more similar posts to yours on the subject of warranty period. 

The Manufacturing Warranty is 24 Months as stated on Vodafones own Help and Support Pages. Does not cover water damage which is checked by seeing if the water sensors are tripped or by damage caused by a drop usually identified by obvious damage to the phones casing. 

I would have gone back to the original Vodafone Highstreet Store. 

Courtesy phones if available are supplied to people who request them on eligible Pay Monthly Tariffs. 

Please take some time to read http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

If this had been another Manufacturier such as Samsung I'd have suggested to circumvent Vodafone and go straight to them. 

All posts are read by Vodafone so I'm hoping they take this disjointed information being given out by Stores and customer services to the powers that be. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for the replies!

The phone was in pristine condition, and it was noted as such on the relevant form.

I did understand that courtesy phones are only available for those on contract plans.

I did go to a different Vodafone store from the one of initial purchase, as the the former is actually closer to me. Also, I found the West Bromwich store, although stating the same thing as the other store, was more accomodating to the points I was making. The staff member who dealt with me did mention he put mention of a dispute to the warranty status (which came out as Out of Warranty) on the system, but this was not reflected on the paperwork.

Thank you for the link too, Lee. It is very helpful, and something else I can call upon if required.

I too hope this and similar incidents are recorded and escalated onwards, and us consumers given, if anything, a clearer and consistent standpoint.

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome @estookay

The Vodafone Teams from all aspects of the business need to address this and swiftly. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.