Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart ultra 6 Lte overseas

Mikepepsi
2: Seeker
Hi guys. I bought the smart ultra 6 because I was assured in store it was an LTE handset. I'm now in Canada and with fido on my unlocked ultra handset. It appears that the phone will connect as highly as 4g and in areas where my friends iPhone hits lte mines sits on g unable to get Internet access. Can someone please explain to me why I am not able to get band 7 or 70 lte on this handset and what I should do next? I don't want to have to pay for another handset because vodafone lied to me Instore so I'm hoping that's not the case.
5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Unfortunatley when going abroad with our phones they really should have advised that until you latch on to whichever Network is best they're unable to guarantee the strength of Signal and Data Signal / Speeds.  

From a Spec sheet off the Internet it shows the frequencies supported on that particular are ->

NETWORK
Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands HSDPA
4G bands LTE band 3(1800), 7(2600), 20(800)
Speed HSPA, LTE
GPRS Yes
EDGE Yes

From Here

Can you check what Frequencies the Canadain Network uses as the phone should connect to 2600 on Band 7 if that's the strongest signal available in the area your staying in. 

Can you try manually choosing another Network and then move back to the original one ? 

Some phones can latch onto signals better than others.

For example here in the Uk I frequently get 4G on my iPhone 6 Plus and on my partners Nokia Lumia she gets 3G. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

What network are you connecting to?

From the look of things, only Bell and Rogers use Band 7 for 4G, and that is only in some areas (i'm going to guess densly populated zones that need shorter coverage distances, and more bandwidth)

The majority of Canadian networks seem to use Band 4, and in some cases 2 and 38.

As bandofbrothers has pointed out, your phone supports 3, 7 and 20... all 3 of the frequencies used in the UK, so is indeed an LTE handset.

The iPhone (depending on what model number it is), for this example I've picked the iPhone 6, that is sold in the UK as well as a good chunk of the rest of the world... A1586

It supports 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 38, 39, 40, 41

So chances are the iPhone is picking up B4 for the 4G, which your handset can't talk to, try roaming onto Bell or Rogers if that isn't the default network to see if anything changes. 

Mikepepsi
It should work on my network as it's band 7 2600 and band 17. No idea why it won't. Goes up to 4g in some areas but never lte and it defaults to g only when in lte areas. Help!

grolschuk

4G == LTE, different names for the same thing.

FIDO is Rogers, so you could be getting 4G/LTE service on Bands 4, 7 or 17, and 3G+ service on 850MHz

Your Phone works on LTE Bands 3, 7 and 20, and 900/2100 for 3G

So out of all the combinations, you will only get anything more than 2G, if you are near to a mast transmitting on LTE Band 7 (2600)

Any other time, you phone won't pick up the signal as it does not support it.

Seeing 4G is good, and if that is most of the time, then you are using 2600, not seeing 4G means either no LTE coverage in the area, or a different frequency is in use.

BandOfBrothers
Hi

I could be wrong but a phone released for the Uk market will typically show 4G not Lte.

Apart from the information given I can't see what else I can say as a fellow customer.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.