Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smartphone with hardware/physical keyboard

ikrip
4: Newbie

Do VF do any contract phones that have a hardware/physical keyboard other than BlackBerry (Classic & Passport)? I thought that Samsung did them, but presumably VF don't offer them?

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi

It does seem touch screens are all the rage at the moment.

If you haven't already perhaps look here for available options https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes - I looked there, but short of checking each handset, there didn't seem to be the capability to search on kbd type. At the moment I'm using a VF Smart 4 Turbo (which I see isn't available online) that I obtained at a VF shop in Oxford Street. In most respects I *really* like it - more/better/less flaky apps than BB; supports Chrome browser; faster WiFi connection etc etc etc - but the only downside for me is the tiny touchscreen kbd (although I've just discovered I can turn it sideways, which makes the 'buttons' a bit fatter). I got this phone as a stopgap until I can u/g my contract in Nov this year, as a result of my BB Q10 dying on me (see thread here:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/BlackBerry/BB-Q10-Display-problem-on-wake-up/m-p/2417872#M66189.)

Using this phone over the past few days has made me realise what I've been missing over the past goodness knows how many years of being a dedicated BB user.

Now that I've seen that touchscreen phones can be turned landscape for typing, I think I'll u/g to a high-end Samsung in Nov. I think it's 'Bye-Bye BlackBerry' (showing my age).

Thanks again, and thanks for your advice on the other thread.

Ian

BandOfBrothers
You could look at somewhere like Carphone Warehouse who may have alternatives that catches your eye.

If you go look then take your SIM card along and ask to insert it into the phone to ensure it accepts your sim ok. Most phones are unlocked except the iPhone which locks to the 1st sim inserted.

Some people report good and not so good experiences with CPW.

Ive never had an issue personally.

#justathought

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Nabs

@ikrip have a google for the Blackberry Venice, it's a rumoured Blackberry Android device. It would give the best of both worlds for what your looking at. No word on it's existance or a release date (if indeed they will release it) but it's worth keeping an eye on. By the time your upgrade comes round there will almost certainly be more information. 

If any new BB still isn't your thing try having a look at the HTC One M9 or the LG G4, both fantastic high end phones at a slightly mor sensible price than Samsungs :smileywink:

Thanks for your replies.

Saw this re BB Venice:

https://recombu.com/mobile/article/blackberry-slider-venice-oslo-passport-2-porsche-2015-phones-leak

It looks like the front slides up to reveal the physical kbd. Apart from saying that it resembles Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge at the screen edges, it doesn't say that it runs on Android?

Ian

Nabs

@ikrip unfortunately until anything is confirmed bu Blackberry themselves it's all just rumours or leaks. 

CPW had a blog piece a few weeks ago, again all speculation but the rumours point to Andorid and to be honest I think they would have to be insane not to go with it!