Solution

Using Bluetooth headset withy smart ultra 6

Adamchrissy
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Does the Vodafone smart ultra 6 have voice recognition 

so when it is paired with a Bluetooth headset you can press the 

activation/action button on the Bluetooth headset and the 

voice regonition software on the handset starts and you can say a contact name to call?

If this or a simialr function is available how can I set it up on the phone? I have paired the headset sucessfully to the phone but it is not automatically activating any voice regonition software when pressing the headsets main button as it did with my previous phone.

If the phone does not have this function is there an app I can download to perform this?

Thanks! 

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

It's not that it doesn't respond to the request correctly, it seems as if it's not listening for it.  Which from my limited experience of interrupt driven programming, is probably the case.

A double press kicks of redial, so this is the only functionality of a simple headset that doesn't work. 

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

The way that headsets interface with phones seems to vary.  My old Jabra comprehensively crashed my Nokia N78 semi smart phone (it worked perfectly with earlier ones that required separate voice tags to be recorded).   A Nokia replacement was fine.   That, in turn, would trigger a Samsung S2 to listen, but voice recognition was more miss than hit.  I haven't bothered since.

I'm sure different  headsets may behave differently, but obviously there is a standard protocol that I guess different manufacturer adhere to differently.  

But as far as I can tell, no one here has identified any bt device that can trigger voice dialling on this phone.

FWIW, I've found Utter really useful with the wired headset while cycling, particularly for reading and responding to text messages while cycling, without stopping, finding my reading glasses, removing winter gloves etc etc.  YMMV.  

Luckily, the phone is on my handle bars, so I just need to fumble the side of the case for the power button, and press and hold the home button for a few seconds.  Not optimal, but workable.

I have found a workaround!! I never noticed the redial function works. So you need to install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yado.btbutfree (that's a crippled free version, the full version is £0.89). Enable it etc, then remap redial action. I set my "Remapped voice assistant" to "Utter!" and my "Remap dial action" to 'Start remap voice assistant". Now when I double click the headset button, my voice assistant starts talking in my ear. Hooray!

NB: it's a beta (and probably going to stay that way as it's a year old) and I get a popup error on my screen.  But it doesn't seem to affect functionality, so I can live with it.

It doesn't really mattter what version of of android is on the old phone.  The point U6 can do voice dialling, and the headset is capable of triggering voice dialling.  

Well, it sounds like no one has been able to get this to work, so it's probably not a setting - the phone just won't do it.

Agreed! Shame really, guess I'll pass this onto my wife and look for a new handset for myself.. maybe an S7 :Smiling:

I was assured by Plantronics that the 2-second call-button press would initiate Google Now app, using their Voyager Legend, but I was so uncertain of using Google Now while driving, that I haven't yet bought the Legend!

Using my 12-year old Jabra BT250, I can get the Smart Ultra 6 to answer, end-call, and dial last number, but not start Google Now.

I am currently using a Parrot Minikit Plus visor-mount, which does its own voice-controlled dialling, but will continue to look for a practical earpiece and app for noisier vehicles.

I should add that all the Bluetooth hands-free devices I have tried have been added as Trusted Devices under Settings/Security/Smart Lock/Trusted devices, so that they keep the phone unlocked when connected....