Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Router Ethernet connectivity Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

nicolass
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi All.

I recently changed to Vodafone, from BT.

I received the Vodafone router and after it was activated I attached all my devices ethernet and Wi-Fi to the new router all appears to work fine, although I do not see the 2 green LEDs on the router remain on.

However, the issue is on my main PC, I run both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, I have no problems with Windows 7 Ethernet connection to the router works fine, but for ubuntu, this is not the case.

Ubuntu displays the Network as being disconnected, and no matter what I do looking through the settings the message remains the same, the Ethernet Cable is fine since it works with Windows 7, I have not changed anything.

So my current thoughts are the setup with Ubuntu, and just wanted to ask if anyone has had the same issue and has found a solution. I have not checked with Ubuntu regarding this issue, but will do if you are unable to help.

Thanks

Nick

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @nicolass

You need to speak to the Broadband Team, they will be able to help with your question.  The number is 08080 034515 (free from mobiles and landlines) from Monday to Sunday 8am-9pm.

Further information for you below.

Broadband Support

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

That is indeed an odd outcome, do you get the connection lights on the computer's network port? or it not even detecting a link?

The the Ubuntu network settings set for Auto/Auto, or does it manually fix the line speed?

If it's Auto, try setting to 100/Full as it may be having trouble negotiating.

If you were to power up the old BT router, i guess the link comes up fine?

Hi.

Thank you for the response, I will check on this later and try.

The old router is a Netgear 834g, never had problems with it, however I used fixed IP addressing, and no DHCP server, for the Ethernet link..

Will check and get back to both replies with a much clearer and more thorough message.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Ann

Thank you for the response will look into this.

Appreciated

Nick