Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 Android 5.1.1

Radjel
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Having been badgered by my phone for about a week to upgrade, I finally accepted the request and upgraded yesterday. Performance is now abysmal on the basic things - dialler won't link to my contacts, I can't dial back a missed call, it takes an age to go from a notification to the app (like email, facebook...), and power consumption has gone crazy.

Am I the only one suffering this? At present my phone is unusable, as I can't recognise who's calling me, and can't answer their calls or phone them back...

10 REPLIES 10

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Did you do a hard reset of the device after you did the update? It is always best practice to do this as can help to remove any problem bits of code and temporary files which in turn can improve your device  performance.

Remember that this will completely wipe your handset, so make sure that you have backed up your personal data first.

PWIAC

Do you mean a Factory Reset? No. I'm automatically backing up with my Google account, so I assume this data will come back without me doing anything other than logging in?

Do I have to reinstall all the apps I currently have downloaded?

drey_p

Yeah factory reset.

Your Google account should have things like your contacts backing up to it. However, I would personally make sure that I have my own back ups in case anything isn't backed up to your Google account. Things like text messages and photos for example may not be.

You can use third party apps such as SMSBackup+ to back up and restore your messages.

You will have to reinstall all your apps. They should start downloading when you sign into your Google account. I'd recommend making sure that you have Wifi on when you do all this as you could use a whole load of data.

PWIAC

ok, will try this later, thanks for the quick response. If this is the 'standard' approach to upgrading, why isn't it made clear before we are encouraged to do the upgrade, and emphasised afterwards....

drey_p

It's always best practice to do this. Most of the time you can get away with out doing a factory reset,but it is still a good idea to do it.  If there are issues after upgrading, doing the factory reset can solve most of them

It means that you have got rid of all the temporary files and bits you don't need. It usually does result in performance improvement to.

PWIAC

hrym
17: Community Champion

This is what I do before a system update, if it helps:

1. Clear recent apps

2. Restart the phone

3. Plug the charger in

The first two make sure that the maximum system resources (minimum running apps and processes) are available for the job and increase the chances of a successful outcome first time.  The third makes sure the battery doesn't run out during the job, which is quite long and processor-intensive.

Has anybody else had any problems with this upgrade? I'm a bit loathe to do it. Last time I upgraded anything, was a Nexus tablet and that made the tablet unusable

hrym

Not on this device specifcally, but I've taken two phones to 5.1.1 and also to 6.0 without problems.   See my note above about maximising resources.

I think I will wait for a bit before upgrading. It's working fine without it:smileyhappy: