Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 update to Marshmallow - app problems

blackshuck
4: Newbie
Updated the o.s. on my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 from Lollypop to Marshmallow this morning .
Several apps .including eBay and BBC weather dissapeared - l reinstalled them , but now they won't work - get message saying they have stopped .
They worked fine before the o.s. upgrade .
Anyone else getting this problem ?
68 REPLIES 68

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi everyone,

We don’t have an update yet, however our Technical team are looking into this.

We’ll let you know as soon as we have any news.

Hello,

Since I did the recent update, my Smart Ultra 6 has gone literally CRAZY!!! Have a look by yourself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mz1hy69fq0gcps/IMG_8460.MOV?dl=0

Has anyone experienced the same?

The phone is literally unmanageable – like a crazy horse.

I am desperate as I have already reset it to factory setting twice, without reinstalling any app whatsoever. Nothing has changed.

Anyone from the Tech Team able to help?

Thanks!

@rinopucci1 that looks like a hardware bug to me.  Like the phone is detecting the overview (right) button is being repeatedly pressed.  

If mine was doing that, I'd take it in to a vodafone shop.

ajpd
Hi mine has started doing this too since the update but I'd assumed it was a fault with the screen. It doesn't do it anything like as much as on the video - every 5 minutes or so on mine it's like the recent apps button has been quickly pressed twice or so and I get the haptic vibration. It's very annoying if you're in the middle of a game v the phone is getting on for 2 years old and out of warranty and only does it a bit at the moment. If it gets worse I think I'll get a new phone

I am abroad at the moment but on Tuesday first thing I'll go to a Vodafone shop. It definitely sounds like a bug, hearing that also others have been affected only confirms this assumption.

I'll make mention of other similar cases and I'll keep you posted!

ajpd
@jonmad
Factory reset is a but of a hassle. I recommend copying what you want from the card onto your pc, formatting the card on your phone then copying everything back onto it. If you factory reset you will likely have to do this anyway and thus may save you some hassle of resetting up and losing data of the factory reset. Factory reset I only do as a last resort - it's an easy option to recommend but you will loose progress in some games settings etc

Hi, yes, a factory reset and reinstalling all my apps (including corporate settings and connections) sounds more effort than the SD card  backup/reformat/restore that I was hoping to avoid by there being a fix.  Seems the latter is unavoidable.

Thanks,

Jon 

So 'reformatting' the SD card on my phone is not working.  It says card is ready to use, but then it still appears as corrupt to my phone and, after supposedly formatting it on my phone, I put the card back into my Mac and all the data is still on it!   

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jonmad

Sometimes when you update an Android device, depending on the data that’s stored on the SD Card, it can become unresponsive or corrupted. If your Mac can read the card but not view anything, it’s defiantly corrupted.

This primarily includes any .apk data. It’s strange that it’s readable on your Mac and not your phone - I’d recommend reformatting the SD card while it’s in your Mac.

Once you’ve formatted it to a universal format like FAT or FAT32 (FAT32 is the preferred format for most Android ROMs), it should start working in your phone.

Make sure you back up any information from the SD card before formatting - you can do this in Disk Utility on your Mac.

Let me know how you get on :Smiling:

I already tried formatting it on my Mac using SDFormatter, both Quick Format and Overwrite Format in that tool.  Both showed successful completion, but when re-inserting the card (via an SD adaptor as it's a microSD card) into my Mac the previous data all appeared.  I can open .jpg, .mp3 and other files from the card, on my Mac, after it was supposedly formatted.  Mac reports the format as ExFAT, for what it's worth.  Card unreadable on phone.

edit: running Disk Utility/First Aid on the card shows the following, but rerunning it keeps giving the same error, so it's not being fixed even though it claims to be.

Repairing file system.
Checking volume.
Checking main boot region.
Checking system files.
Checking upper case translation table.
Checking file system hierarchy.
Incorrect checksum for directory entry set.
Checking active bitmap.
The bitmap needs to be repaired.
Rechecking main boot region.
Rechecking alternate boot region.
The volume was repaired successfully.
File system check exit code is 0.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
Operation successful.

Ta.