Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone smart prime 6 app update issue

wazzaladd
4: Newbie

hi so i have gone via help on here and didnt work so looking for advice

i have a VF smart prime 6 so far phone is perfect for my needs.

only issue i have it wont update apps. its says i have far too little stoare space even thou i have over 300mb free space. 

i ehave installed CClean and that worked but i need to clean every few days when updates come out. i end up uninstalling FB messenger then updating apps then dl messenger again!!!!

ist there a fault with my phone? makes no sense that a whatsapp update of 7mb wont intsll as i have 300mb and updates really only replace what you have.

is there a way i can install apps on my SD card?

thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

Its down to the current firmware versions if it'll let an app be installed on an SD card. Marshmallow will. 

I agree it should let you update etc but some ohones seem to insist on a certain amount of free storage memory. 

All I can suggest is to clear out data such as calendar entries,notes ,music , pictures and videos and texts and emails to open up more space. 

One good app to use is Dropbox where you can keep all kinds of data in the online vault. 

Also try making a backup and then factory reset which can help to clean up the phone of old files etc. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

thanks for advice

i have basically moved as much as i can onto SD card. i use dropbox a lot anyway

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

I would then try a factory reset and if that didn't help visit a Vodafone store where the rep maybe able to help further and or send it away for a diagnostic.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

300mb isn't a lot really.  One easy way to gain a little extra is to clear recent app, then go in the the main Settings menu and Storage and USB and clear all app caches.  That'll have much the same affect as CCleaner without the app overhead.

If you have a lot of apps, moving as many as possible to the SD card is the way to go.  When you install new ones, they'll go initially to internal storage and need to be moved afterwards.

If you have/get Marshmallow, it may be worth considering its Adopted Storage option, where the SD card effectively becomes part of the main storage pool rather than appearing as an external drive.   If you do this, back up the content first as I think you'll lose it.  The card also won't be transferrable to a new device without being re-formatted.   When I had a Smart Prime a couple of years ago, it was doing something similar, but it sounds as though recent Vodafone devices may be more conventional.

If you aren't make the card the default storage for the camera and move all other content to it.

i am on 5.0.2 not sure if thats marshmellow

im already on camera on sd card

would love to be able to delete some of the default google app. its not like i have dozens of apps on my phone anyway

thanks

hrym

That's Lollipop.   Marshmallow is 6 and it has an option in Settings|Storage and USB to make the SD card part of the memory pool.

You can't uninstall most of the Google apps, but you can gain some space by uninstalling updates.  However, you then have to do all other updates one at a time manually - "update all" will include the Google ones.

It's not unusual for the OS and manufacturer apps to take up 8-10gb, but even 2gb (on a 16gb device) is enough to work with, especially if you have a separate card.  I've done system updates successfully with this amount of headroom.  Other apps are getting fatter too as functionalities are added.  Most premium devices now come with 32gb as standard to reflect this.   It's  fact of the march of technology that the rate of increase of the demands put on hardware mean that devices can start to become at least semi-obsolete depressingly quickly.  My 3 yeard old Samsung tablet would lose any race against an arthritic snail :smileysad: