Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Windows Vista 64bit Device Driver for Android Vodaphone Smart Prime Phone

martinhbach
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

Can anyone suggest where I can get a WIndows Vista 64 bit device driver to support the Andoid OS on my VP Smart Prime phone?

When I plug the phone in to a USB port, Windows reports that it has no driver for it. It searches WIndows Update to look for one, with no success. The next suggestion is to insert the CD that (didn't) come with the device.

I can find no reference to Windows Android drivers on the VP support web site.

4 REPLIES 4

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Microsoft dropped mainstream support for Windows Vista around 3 years ago.  This means that there unlikely to be any specifc driver development for Vista for your device - this is evidenced by the fact that you can't find any drivers for it via Windows Update.  Normally Windows will find a generic driver it can use, but if it can't find it, there is probably nothing available that is compatible with both your device and Vista.

PWIAC

Thanks for the very quick response.

What I have managed to do since posting my question is to connect my phone to my computer as a camera - and so transfer photos.

I only worked out how to do this by stumbling across an online manual for the VP Smart Ultra.

Consequently, I've looked for the manual for the VP Smart Prime 6, but can't find one. Do you know if such a thing exists, and if so where it's located? On the VP Help and Support page, it does not list the Smart 6 as a phone in it's own range!

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

gsmarc.com claims to have one.   I haven't intestigated fully, but it came up quite early in a Google search.

I'm not sure how backwards-compatible drivers are, but would a Windows 7 one work?   I've also seen the suggestion to instruct them to run in compatibility mode.

The other workround would be to install a file manager app such a Cheetah Mobile File Manager (Explorer) or ES File Manager.   These can access a shared drive/folder on your pc via wifi and you can transfer content that way.

drey_p

Regarding the user manual, if I have found the right one, this could be what you're looking for.

PWIAC