Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xperia M5 Marshmallow????

buggerlugz
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Since October 2015 Sony has said it is committed to providing Marshmallow to the Xperia M5 yet it is now July 2016 and we appear no closer to ever seeing the update.

I do think with the increasing threat of hackers and virus's encroaching on Android (especially in the light of hummingbad) manufacturers and operators like Vodafone need to be working better together to get these OTA updates rolled out.

Its obvious from this board and every other one out there that Android updates on EVERY phone released this year is seriously lacking.

When I can replace a 3 year old MotoG which is already running on Marshmallow with a new phone still on Kitkat and 6 months down the line it still does not have the latest OS, something is going very wrong IMHO.

Is it the fact phone operators are ending up footing the bill for OTA updates, or is this a cost issue to operators?

Regardless it REALLY needs addressing.

Addition: You're firmware FAQ really leaves me thinking you are not committed as an operator when you can come out with this below in it! *slaps forhead in disbelief*

Firmware Feedback

As there’s nothing more we can add, we won’t reply in any firmware related discussions, other than to quote or link to this information.

Thats like saying "Well, we don't give a ##~## customers, just read this page of non-information again please and if you don't magically get the right answer, well, read it again........"

1 REPLY 1

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @buggerlugz

I appreciate your point of view. 

When a firmware release is out with new features and bug / security fixes it's important to get them ASAP.

This is one of the reasons I choose unbranded phones and also why I opt for Apple and iPhones / iPads. The networks have no intervention with iOS. They have a say in carrier updates.

On the flip side I can understand why the Networks will want to ensure nothing in the firmware clashes with their systems. I can just imagine the backlash if anything did.

Typically the firmware updates are released in waves.    

Vodafone Firmware Statement.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.