cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

how do i reinstall original firmware on Galaxy Fame ?

euan26
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have replaced my wifes broken Galaxy Fame with one I purchased on the internet (locked to vodafone) as was hers so using her SIM the phone works but wont check for software updates or connect to Kies. I think it is due to the model No being GT-S6810L (think the L is wrong) Its been suggested that I reinstall original firmware but I don't know how to do this or where to download it from. Any help please !

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @euan26

Do you know if the phone is a branded one ?  i.e. Supplied by Vodafone. 

Putting a Custom Rom / firmware onto a phone requires some homework and a bit of Google searching to learn how to do this and how to get out of any glitches. 

I'm a little hesitant to guide you on a network forum as I do not wish to land you with a handset that you possibly cannot then use.

There are dedicated forums for rooting and custom roms which have the required download links for the firmware and guys and gals there with a vastly superior working knowledge than I have.  Places such as Xda Developers forum.  Xda-developers.com Forum.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi it's supposed to be a Vodafone phone and works with a vodafone sim. just won't connect to keis or update software ?

63johnw
Hi. If it's working fine why mess with it?

BandOfBrothers

I would assume the Op wants any available firmware updates and as importantly security patches. 

Current Phone  >

@thesoupdragon

Do you have any insight please ?

Current Phone  >

As I say cant do any software updates or use Keis to sync/download etc

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@euan26 wrote:

As I say cant do any software updates or use Keis to sync/download etc

That is why it is being suggested that you go into a Samsung repair centre and ask for their help to flash the correct firmware onto your device.

PWIAC

63johnw
The galaxy fame is an older, inexpensive handset that will not be receiving firmware updates now, I don't think security patches are pushed out for them very often (if ever) now.

thesoupdragon
The problem with buying second hand Samsung phones on the internet is; you don't know what people have done with it previously?
If the phone has been flashed with different firmware at some time, the CSC code could be different to the firmware installed.
This will stop Kies from being able to connect to the Phone as the area sales code and firmware are mismatched.

The safest advice would be to get Samsung to restore the phone to the correct firmware.
Perhaps ring them and explain the situation or if you have a Samsung store near you pop into there!

There may be a charge for this? (It used to be £20, but might be different now?)
Much safer to do this, than end up with a paperweight...

TSD 😉