You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 17: Instructor I
very_teknical

ANDROID- Google Maps 5

[ Edited ]

If it wasn't enough that Google anounced the new nexus yesterday, they also anounced the new Google Maps 5.

I have to say it looks pretty good, with some more caching now available and 3D vector views and really good rotation navigation.

But here's the thing...

It appears that the HTC phones (including nexus 1) won't be fully supported, as their touch screens aren't up to the full multi-touch requirements! although the G2 will.

No news on whether this new version will be ported to the iphone yet, but I doubt it :smileywink:

Here's a link to engadget

Message 1 of 10 (4,586 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

Re: ANDROID- Google Maps 5

[ Edited ]

Nice they got the message then that people were using copilot and not there's and a no data connection mode which did kill it for them oh and the voice of that woman yack, it  will upset the phone companies as were not using our data connection up !!!!!

the only question is When will we get it and will it be free ??????? 

Message 2 of 10 (4,574 Views)
very_teknical

I think these improvements to Google maps are more to do with enhancing the user experience for someone on foot in built up areas.
It should be released very soon, almost certainly this month and as always, will not cost you anything.
All co pilot users need to understand that Google maps offer much more than just navigation, they currently offer a wealth of information services and are used in augmented reality apps. This is all set to advance massively over the next year on Android devices
Message 3 of 10 (4,554 Views)
Rank 12: Guide I
NeoBlade

Really looking forward to this update. For me, moving from raster images to vector will be massive. Not only in terms of rendering time and quality but bandwidth as well which is always a bonus as data usage keeps on rising.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 4 of 10 (4,460 Views)
NeoBlade

Guys, Google Maps v5 is out in the market NOW! Install it! Its amazing ^_^ Much more fluid and I love the two finger 3D effect. Click on My Location Twice for the map to rotate in your direction too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!
Message 5 of 10 (4,422 Views)
Rank 45: Oracle IV
Nabs

Does anyone know where the offline maps are stored?

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 6 of 10 (4,405 Views)
Rank 34: Scholar III
Northern-dj

it does not store all the maps just the ones as it goes so the return leg is faster

Message 7 of 10 (4,399 Views)
NeoBlade

Yeah its basically a cache of the maps. Not sure where its stored sorry, not had much more time to play with it. I'm sure its somewhere on the SDCard...

Message 8 of 10 (4,386 Views)
very_teknical

[ Edited ]

Google is now using vector graphics for its maps, which are scalable and much lighter weight than the traditional stitched together images used in most Google Maps incarnations. The vectors also enable something else a whole lot sexier: a two finger swipe can "tilt" the map and now you've got a 3D view of the landscape. It's not quite as flashy as Google Earth, but it looks a whole lot more useful. The other thing these low-bandwidth vector maps enables is offline caching of maps, specifically your most frequently visited locations, and entire trips that have been routed in Navigation, including potential reroutes.

If you go into maps settings there is cache options

From here it tells you the current cache size and gives you the option to clear it.

To clear user data, you have to go into manage applications from the main settings.

I think its brilliant. Rather than filling up a massive chunk of your sd card with out dated maps of the whole world, which lets face it you're hardly ever going to use if at all, It only caches your most visited local area and entire routes you punch in to Navigation. I think that's a very efficient way of doing things.

Had a look at the 3d vector view and can see how its going to be awesome when walking around major city centres with layers activated.

Totally gutted that this feature doesn't support London yet :smileysad:

This update has given Android phones an edge that's going to make other phones look stupid when it comes to navigation.

Message 9 of 10 (4,374 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
XDA_dave

wow, i'm impressed! been using navdroid cos i hate having to download map data all the time lol

and i think i'll be using this instead to save my SD space

just a shame my hero won't support the 3d vectoring :smileysad:

Message 10 of 10 (4,298 Views)