Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Android OS scary app

dazm33
4: Newbie

Hi there,I was checking something the other day and stumbled upon something that gave me some concern, In Kit Kat 4.4.4 and maybe other Android OS there is google play services app, This app as you will know is within the OS and to delete it would render most of your device dead, Going through permissions is a new addition and it says "NEW : directly call phone numbers, it then says "allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention this may result in unexpected charges or calls" Now you dont have to be a rocket scientist to work out that your handset is not under your control, It also says "this app can take photos and video including using the microphone without your knowledge" There were others but would take e ages to list now what do people think of this? I have already contacted Vodafone, Tesco Mobile and Mobile Choice about this issue and all have returned the feedback as "shocking" I have since contacted Google but as yet have not responded, If your still unshure please go into settings on your android device including tablets and have a look, Thanks for reading and BYE to android so far as im concerned

29 REPLIES 29

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Aaaaaannnnd back to the topic @dazm33 have you hear anything from Google on this one yet?

Google have not yet responded so I will be making some calls tomorrow when I get further information I will send everyone the link to hear what Google ave said in an article I am to make, Thanks for everyones contribution 

hrym

I understand your concern, but Google Play Services is a core part pof Android, which means everyone with an Android device is running it.  If there was a problem, I think we'd have heard about it by now.  I certainly haven't come across any unexplained calls.  A lot of apps have what seem like outrageous permissions, such as "read your contacts" and "prevent phone from sleeping", but they function OK and nothing untoward seems to have gone on.

It would be interesting to know what answer you get (if any), though.

I have had a lot of trouble with Google play in the past. For some reason it stopped recognising the phone that I had been using to download apps and I became stuck in a Kafkaesque world. I decided that I could completely by-pass the play store by a direct download of the .apk file. I also found some of the apps I wanted in Amazon.

hrym

If you go outside the Play store, you run the risk of downloading dodgy apps, though you should be OK with Amazon.   Google account issues can sometimes be solved by deleting the account and then putting it back.   You shouldn't lose anything by doing that, though you will have to re-enter any non-default settings, especially in Gmail.

I know how to manage google play, and deleting and re-establishing an account is not a fix if some numpty at google hq has dabbled in something they do not understand and broken the functionality of the store. I have been downloading .apk files direct to my several devices for over two years without any incident whatsoever.

hrym

Clearly you know what you're doing.   This is a public forum and caveats are worthwhile for general visitors.  Personally, the only problems I've had with Play have been solved by replacing the account on the device.

Sorry for the delay, Google have responded via Portland Comunications and are currently looking into the matter, I have just emailed the again requesting an answer but the good news is the ball is rolling and will update people soon 

jeffkinn

Of course the media lies and will misrepresent facts to titillate the reader. Vodafone will be one of the biggest contributors to HMRC's coffers with both VAT and employers national insurance.

Corporation tax is not calculated on sales and profits are only one element in the calculation. The other major factor is capital expenditure which in Vodafone's case far exceeds its profits. It will be given what are called capital allowances and this reduces the tax burden.

Over and above that the directors have a legal obligation to generate as much cash for their shareholders as possible. This includes reducing taxation and I would expect them to use any means available to them under the law to do so. Do you pay more tax than you have to? I know I don't and nor do companies.

The notion that Vodafone avoids taxation is booth crass and laughable.

And I write this as a long term corporate financial director with no links to Vodafone other than as a customer.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

You can find out for yourself by looking at the annual reports.

What you're referring to is capital expenditure. As I understand it, the tax man allows Vodafone to reduce their tax bill by the amount of money they've had to spend on the network itself. In fact the tax man allows all companies to reduce their tax bill this way. There is nothing untoward about it and it is no different from you or I having our tax codes increased due to a particular allowance we are entitled to.

I'll get @jeffkinn to post a much more detailed explanation of this.

EDIT : I kept getting interrupted so it took a little while to reply...And I see Jeffkinn has already explained it . 

PWIAC