Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot run BT SmartTalk on Vodafone 875 Smart mini due to Android version

SidewaysSyd
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

As a BT Broadband customer, I thought it was about time I loaded BT SMartTalk on my Vodafone 875. But having spoken to BT, it looks like it's not supported by the phone as the Android version is backlevel..it is running Android Manager version 2.2.1307.346

Seems I need 2.3.3 or above.

Is this available from Vodafone? I've tried software updates on my phone but it says there are none available

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

More than you could ever want to know here.   In Settings|About phone, it usually lists the name as well as the (full) version number - or at least, it does from Gingerbread onwards.

SmartTalk is certainly compatible with Gingerbread - I had it on a Samsung S2 running that, which I bought in late 2012.  I hate to say this, but the version you have was already antiquated when you got it. :smileysad:   I think we were up to Ice Cream Sandwich at least by then.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

hrym

If your phone isn't showing any updates, it's likely that anything more recent simply isn't supported on that device.  Some of the more recent versions of Android have hardware requirements greater than are available on some older devices, afaik.   I'm currently trialling a Smart 4 Power and Google Play says that BT SmartTalk is compatible with that, so it's probably compatible across the Smart 4 range, if you were feeling like an upgrade.

thanks hrym.....don't want an upgrade yet as I only bought it a few months ago. So no hope. That's a shame. I should have bought a 2nd hand iPhone instead.

hrym

All the current ones seem to be on at least Jellybean, so do I assume this wasn't new?   A lot of apps need Gingerbread or later, but that seems to be the only compatibility break so far.

No, it was new..though I've had it longer than I thought. I bought it Oct 31st 2013, bought from a Vodafone store. Sorry, how do Jellybean & Gingerbread relate to the Android version number 2.2.1307.346?

hrym

More than you could ever want to know here.   In Settings|About phone, it usually lists the name as well as the (full) version number - or at least, it does from Gingerbread onwards.

SmartTalk is certainly compatible with Gingerbread - I had it on a Samsung S2 running that, which I bought in late 2012.  I hate to say this, but the version you have was already antiquated when you got it. :smileysad:   I think we were up to Ice Cream Sandwich at least by then.