Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei Ascend G300 - DATA connection issue

steveoutbush
4: Newbie

Anyone know how to fix intermittent Data connection failures ?

I have had the problem ever since I bought the phone but only recently decided I can't live with it any longer.

I get it even when the signal indicator shows full bars 3G or 2G.

Tried creating a new APN using Tweakker but the phone will not allow that new APN in the list to be the active one (can't get the blue dot next to it).

Android v 4.0.3

B892 (why do other G300 phones running the older GingerBread have later versions like B895 ?)

6 REPLIES 6

hrym
17: Community Champion

An intermittent connection doesn't sound like an APN issue and I'd be mroe inclined to suspect the network.  Have you checked coverage/issues in your area?  Does this happen everywhere or only in certain locations?

If you're running a recent version of Android, you can pull the APNs down rather than having them sent to you.  The option is in the Mobile Data menu under a sub-menu called something like "more settings".  It'll install the correct settings and delete all others.

Thanks but I have tried reset the APN setting to default which automatically gets the correct values for my contract.

It happens everywhere as far as I can tell. I'm not a heavy user because I seldom am anywhere that has Vodafone 3G coverage so I'm used to painfully slow 2G service (when it works at all).

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi steveoutbush,

If you're in an area with intermittent signal, then changing the APN's won't have any affect. 

We're undergoing a huge overhaul of our network at the moment. We're on track to having 98% of populated areas covered with 3G or 4G coverage by the end of next year. Our blog has more details. 

Check out our Coverage Maps. We now post planned updates due within the next three months. When you search a postcode, click the 'View our planned coverage' button to the bottom left. :Smiling:

Cheers, Ben

Ben,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way data connections work. I always assumed that if I see a signal strength showing on the phone for calls/SMS then as long as I have my Data switched ON I will receive some sort of Data connection, whether or not it's 2G or 3G. ie. that the calling/text coverage is identical to Data coverage.

Is this correct or are the two, voice/text and data, working over quite different signals and from different masts ?

I'm working and living near Oxford where coverage is pretty good (I thought) so I think it is either the phone or the Vodafone system that is letting me down with the Data connection.

Thanks.

hrym

No, the data connection can be different and depends on local network traffic.   Given the proliferation of smartphones, the networks are constantly stretched.   Very occasionally, in an unpopulated area, I get a surprisingly resilient connection on vanilla 2G (even without Edge).  You can also find that, despite a strong signal showing on the meter and data apparently active, the connection doesn't work due (I think) to the surrounding infrastructure.  I get this, for instance, in the cafe of my local supermarket - full-strength signal and Edge, but everything else almost non-existent.  Emails do eventually come through and the phone will also sync, but apps don't update and, on this, I think it's a time-out issue.

hrym

@hrym wrote:
If you're running a recent version of Android, you can pull the APNs down rather than having them sent to you.  The option is in the Mobile Data menu under a sub-menu called something like "more settings".  It'll install the correct settings and delete all others.

I'm beginning to think this may be a Sony thing.  I also have an HTC One M8 and I thought I got the APNs this way, but I can't find the option now.  Either I imagined it or the option goes once the correct APNs are in place.

Edited to add: Just re-checked this on a Sony device and the option's still there in the Mobile Data menu.