You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
dragpyre

Huawei Ascend G300/U8815 ICS Update and Features

Right, I already know that the ICS update for the U8815 will be coming very soon. I'm already running a pre-release build of ICS (B927), so I have some idea of what to expect (it does actually run quite nicely)

I, like many people on certain forums, have questions regarding the firmware/release.

If you're wondering why I'm here, I was told to come here from: http://blog.vodafone.co.uk/2012/07/17/firmware-testing/ comments.

1. What week will it be released?

2. How will it be rolled out?
A blog post from Vodafone in April says this: "However, an update to the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich software is due to come to the Ascend G300 via Huawei’s website later in the year, adding precisely this feature." but I can understand plands may have changed.

3. One of the most important questions about ICS across many forums for this device. Will it have 2D Hardware UI Acceleration enabled? Its in the ICS Kernel, however, for some reason, youiselves/Huawei have turned it off. Hence why most reviews of the phone have the laggy UI as a con, because this feature is disabled. Qualcomm have written the driver for the GPU to use it, so why isn't it being used?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 15 (19,009 Views)
alan1302

Re: Huawei Ascend G300/U8815 ICS Update and Features

I’d be interested in knowing about this – in particular about point 3 as I was under the impression ICS would make for a smoother experience.

Message 2 of 15 (18,851 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Guys,

I can’t give any specific dates for a release of ICS on the phone as we simply don’t have them.

I can see that there are a few details missing from the last software test that were done over the last month and we don’t have details regarding when it will be available and if this will be done via a PC or OTA.

When the official ICS ROM is released it should give a much smoother experiencing for you however, I can’t see any details regarding 2D hardware acceleration being disabled or enabled and the only way to know would be to install it when it becomes available.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 15 (18,705 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
obvious

Thanks James

We've bee trying to report that 2d hardware acceleration is broken in B927 which we have access to from Huawei's website. This is the version you are testing and we'd like you to ask Huawei to fix it. They might listen to you. Please :smileyhappy:

Message 4 of 15 (18,678 Views)
dragpyre

If you look at the posts here: http://www.modaco.com/topic/356161-good-news-everyone-opengl-info-here/#entry1995837

and here: http://www.modaco.com/topic/356161-good-news-everyone-opengl-info-here/#entry1995935

plus their respective screenshots, you can see that Huawei have said that it will be in there. So unless there's been a breakdown of communication, how the hell can you not know what features the ROM is going to have? A ROM you are meant to be testing. You need to pass our support for this feature to Huawei, so that they can see that owners of this phone want and need this feature which is a key part of Ice Cream Sandwich.

Also, FYI, Huawei have said it will be a Mid August/late August release on twitter and Facebook.
So how come we are getting more information from the manufacturer than the network which is meant to be pushing the update out?

Message 5 of 15 (18,635 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
mrandroid

Install it and see if its there really isn't an appropriate answer. If the Rom is undergoing testing now, then. now is the time to test that hardware accelerated UI is both present and working. You can test if its working by installing an ics stock camera app. If it doesn't work fully, then hardware acceleration is still broken and needs to be fixed.
Members of the public have pointed out a very specific problem with the upcoming release so the rest is in your hands. There can be no excuses about why it was missed. Huawei and Vodafone have been given an ample timeframe to fix this whole the actual Rom is being tested.
Message 6 of 15 (18,603 Views)
mrandroid

You may also find that video recording resolution has dropped in the ics, downgrading the user experience instead of improving it.
Message 7 of 15 (18,556 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
obvious

James, you're not going to report this bug are you? Time to write an LBA to head office then
Message 8 of 15 (18,530 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Guys,

When it comes to a firmware being tested this is done by our devices team who will test specific functions on the device and if there are problems it will fail our technical acceptance and be sent back to the manufacturer to be addressed, unfortunately we have no way of telling the devices team what to test and as mentioned above we will need to wait for any software to be released before an issue can be passed back for investigation.

However, as the release has yet to become live everything is pure speculation as this may have already been addressed.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 9 of 15 (18,426 Views)
dragpyre

James wrote:

Hi Guys,

When it comes to a firmware being tested this is done by our devices team who will test specific functions on the device and if there are problems it will fail our technical acceptance and be sent back to the manufacturer to be addressed, unfortunately we have no way of telling the devices team what to test and as mentioned above we will need to wait for any software to be released before an issue can be passed back for investigation.

However, as the release has yet to become live everything is pure speculation as this may have already been addressed.

James

Don't copy and paste answers, stop being obtuse, and stop avoiding your customers and device owners. 

I have made my views clear and given you the facts in the other thread.

Message 10 of 15 (18,376 Views)
morilihochili

Any news on this, as I am getting very annoyed after having been promised by the sales person that the update is imminent.  Now I have been made aware that our phones might not even be compatible with an update.  If that is the case Vodafone will get it straight back.

Message 11 of 15 (14,524 Views)
morilihochili

How long before I get a reply (or is it like everything else on Vodafone?) nobody seem to be bothered.

Message 12 of 15 (14,458 Views)
theoldsmithy

James wrote:

Hi Guys,

I can’t give any specific dates for a release of ICS on the phone as we simply don’t have them.

I can see that there are a few details missing from the last software test that were done over the last month and we don’t have details regarding when it will be available and if this will be done via a PC or OTA.

When the official ICS ROM is released it should give a much smoother experiencing for you however, I can’t see any details regarding 2D hardware acceleration being disabled or enabled and the only way to know would be to install it when it becomes available.

James

That is the most bizarre answer I have ever seen. If Huawei have released an ICS update, then surely it is Vodafone who are holding up the release to their customers therefore you MUST know the dates and the contents of the release. To say otherwise is simply not credible.

Message 13 of 15 (14,369 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately we don’t have any specifics regarding firmware updates and their release dates.

The reason for this can be found in our firmware statement.

James

Message 14 of 15 (14,211 Views)
PandaKing

What i got from that statement was that we are waiting an undisclosed amount of time for that slew of terrible apps that we hide from our app drawer within fifteen minutes of turning on the phone.

I would love to use a non vodafone version for the update, but my current vodaphone software isn't compatible. Probably because of all for the improvements made by vodaphone.

Message 15 of 15 (14,124 Views)